Friday, June 10, 2011

All My Life (three things)

I went through Luke's photo box during down time from painting this past weekend.

The actual purpose was to find baby photos and a few significant childhood pictures for Truett's first birthday present. But as I went through the piles I rediscovered something grand.

I've known it forever, but its nice to see it in photos splayed across the floor.

It's only as grand as is a foundation on a house. Not really paid much attention on the regular, but integral to life in the subtlest of ways. It's a part of my every day, though I go through many without awareness of it. 

My entire life-- how I encounter people, how I trust, how I explore, how I adjust-- is deeply informed by the base upon which all those experiences mount. A base that is very simply defined by how I've been loved.

I remembered, in looking back, two things that are both basic and simultaneously life-changing.

First, I've loved my brother all my life.

Secondly, and most importantly to the heart of a little sister, He's loved me back.

(Emily, too).

scan0001

Image (55)

Image (53)

Image (18)

Image (19)

Image (56)

Image (50)

Image (51)

Image (59)

Image (52)

Image (22)

Image (58)

Image (24)

DSCN0163

Image (57)

DSC_0132

DSC_0334_R

There's a third thing: How grateful I am to God for establishing a family of Luke's own that loves him the way we do and more.

DSC_0286




Untitled



And though he contributes just a portion of the amount we are each loved in full, it is an irreplaceable, consistent, unhindered, oft-expressed love that may not obviously daily change our lives, but perhaps more importantly provides a trustworthy, important constant for us all.

It bespeaks a Deeper, Better, Most Complete Love that sustains in all.


"14 When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, 15 the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. 16 I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. 17 Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. 18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. 19 May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.
20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. 21 Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen." (Ephesians 3:14-21)

Happy first fathers day to the brother I've loved all my life.

1 comment:

Karo said...

Sweet post Sadie, and I love the photos! Nothing in this world like family...