But I just got to thinking, oh, 5 minutes ago, that all these lengthy blogging absences (over which you are not suffering, but my future memory loss self is) generally occur because I don't take the twenty minutes I do have to just say what's up. I forget that it's really that simple.
Plus, sometimes it's even more dangerous for me to have hours and hours to type and perfect and over think because then it gets long and actually more scattered and then you really do suffer. As does my future self who, though she may be interested in the deep ponderances of my soul during this time, might also really enjoy small remembrances like an afternoon of painted nails, teaching a 10 year old how to say sorry with soul, explaining to an 8 year old why it's important to be appropriately upset over a wrongdoing, and a bible study group dinner filled with good conversation, laughter, and an appropriate amount of pretending to be a compulsive liar.
These are the things I want to remember.
The small things, they add up. To remember them is to remember that God is faithful. To let them slip through the cracks is to disregard the attention he affords us. I sat on the steps having post-time out conversations two different times yesterday with boys who couldn't care less that I cared so much about helping them do life well. And whereas I understand their distaste for correction, I do not understand what would keep me from engaging with the caring God who routinely promises his providence, abundance from obedience. Even if I only have 30 minutes, even if just 30 seconds. Because if I'm not reflecting on the parts, I just won't see God for what he is: whole, correct, true.
It's a principle much akin to trying to do division homework with a 4th grader who sits there waiting for the answer, remainder and all, to magically come to him, stubbornly neglecting to engage the simple steps that he knows will lead to completion.
You gotta pay attention to the steps, kid.
Carpool time!
(and I'm not late!)
(though I did not leave time for coffee, but what can you do?)
I am a Thessalonian taking this command to heart as kids and I both learn the steps: "Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one." (1 Ths. 4:6)
1 comment:
Sadie Smith. I miss you. And your blog posts. Also. I love you.
Word Verification: Wayers. As in. If I had my wayers, you'd be in DC right now.
Post a Comment