Wednesday, February 1, 2012

"Celine Wuh Like It" {the crescendo}

In the months of anticipation leading up to our Vegas trip, I would see shiny things and proclaim, "Celine wuh like it."

For instance, Celine "wuh" like these things....

IMG_5210

(It's a reference to Shirley Q. Liquor's rant about Easter and how it isn't about people and their fancy hats, though she herself wears a hat and "Jesus wuh like it." She wears it for his "glerrrr." {glory}. Now you know.)

One of the best parts of my college graduation present was knowing about it since May.

Mom and Dad "gave" me the trip to Vegas at Market Place Grill in Fayetteville as it was still sinking in that I'd graduated college. So then I began the process of letting it sink in that I was for real going to see my favorite singer ever.

Before you feel like I may have hastened in offering up such a classification, you should know I've actually invested hours upon hours on such a decision.

I didn't know it was happening at the time, but in hindsight she became the decided favorite somewhere between Allie and I recording ourselves singing the entire "Let's Talk About Love" album in the middle of her red living room (there is some risque stuff on that CD, y'all! where were our parents?),

practicing the beat the heart move at "you're here there's nothing I fear" that she makes seem so seamless during each performance of "My Heart Will Go On"

and those times I'd have to steal my Celine CDs back from Luke only to be delighted to find on the afternoons he'd drive me around in his truck that he'd taken them back from me, giving me an alternative to the usual Christian heavy metal.

She isn't like some idol that I've been pining to see all my life, leaving me to feel incomplete without the experience. But when I think about it, it *is* true that Celine Dion was a very subtle thread through my growing up years and the trip was truly an apropos way to cap off an era.

Beauty and the Beast was my first favorite movie and I remember the music video featured at the end of the VHS with the deep voiced man and the curly-haired girl in the black dress singing in the middle of the room with the orchestra.

I wasn't allowed to see Up Close and Personal when it came out and I remember being told to run along as mom and dad watched it one night. I happily complied, playing baby dolls and school teacher until I was parched and went downstairs for a snack. By then the movie was over and the credits rolled to "Because You Loved Me." Years later I remember the song coming on the radio and mom calling dad to leave him a voice message in the middle of a long day of work to tell him she felt that way about him. Luckily for mom and Celine, Emily and I were there to add in some backup vocals for that heartfelt message.

Celine's "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" video left me thoroughly confused, as I did not yet understand the basic concept of a music video before I sat there watching some dude wreck his motorcycle and Celine lip-syncing longingly while navigating a maze of white sheets hanging in some random mansion. After all this time, I'd argue that it still rivals all other music videos in length and intensity. A great introduction to the concept, it's epic-ness also set me up for much subsequent disappointment in music videos.

With much pride and great pleasure I joined a choir of 5th graders at graduation from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Interdistrict Elementary Magnet School to belt out "The Power of the Dream." A song written for Celine to perform at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, we applied it to the life journey of a bunch of public school kids educated in the ways of MLK's civil rights leadership. Olympic dream, MLK's dream. Same same... right?

My first recollection of Oprah is the episode for which Celine sang a tribute to her niece, who died of Cystic Fibrosis. This was the first time I noticed, on a shallow level, how Celine sometimes (okay, often) weirdly contorts her face when performing. It was also the first time I was awed by the strength and emotion in her voice.

Let's see... oh! "I'm Your Angel" was my favorite song on Celine's Christmas album, though it's the only one that has nothing to do with the holiday. Emily and I do a stirring rendition of this duet, complete with slight mockery of the intensity with which R. Kelley delivers the word "stooooorm."

Celine took a two year long hiatus beginning January 1, 2000, leaving the world with her album "All the Way: A Decade of Song" and the new song "That's the Way It Is," which was really fun to choreograph "dance" moves to. Luke and I especially did the tug of war thing with this album.

Just in time for 6th grade Celine released "A New Day Has Come," which featured a bunch of pictures of her baby, making it my instant favorite. I'd really believed she would be retiring forever, so I listened on with a sigh of relief. Then Kelly Clarkson sang "I Surrender" on American Idol (with laryngitis!) and I realized Celine was legit, not just some childish interest.

High school rolled around and I made some great friends in the grade level above me, prompting Katie to sing "All By Myself" every time the subject of my impending loneliness come my own senior year came up. Luckily I found myself in excellent company senior year, but the joke persisted and Katie still occasionally serenades me for old times sake.

"Taking Chances" was appropriately released in the fall of 2007, my first semester at UMW. Consider that chance took.

"I Drove All Night" was clearly recorded for Celine's endorsement of Chrysler and is SO random. But it made much more sense in the context of the Creepster's pursuit of Noelle come spring semester freshman year. I mean, the word "crept" is in the song... it's just too easy! ;)

Most recently I rediscovered my love of her Christmas album and "O Holy Night" motivates some of the best working out of my life. It's just so stirring!

Now you know the history-- we've had some really great times, me and Celine.

To see her in Vegas on New Years Eve of my graduation year felt appropriate because to consider the reasons why I've come to love and respect Celine and her music is to recall so many great childhood memories. But feeling it appropriate and believing it to be possible are two different things. I never thought it would happen. (I was just happy when Mom bought me the DVD of her last Vegas show for my high school graduation)

So one of the best parts of the gift was having 6 months to remember "oh yeah, I'm going to see Celine in Vegas!" and getting excited all over again and recalling the fun memories tied to her music and also seeking out sparkly things to wear to Vegas with mock conviction that "Celine wuh like it."

It was also great when I realized (upon landing in Vegas and on the way to our first delicious Vegas meal of McDonalds drive-thru at 3 a.m.) that New Years Eve was the last night of the trip and the entire week would serve as a crescendo to Celine's show.

It was a good week.

I continue to think I should wait for it to sink in that I got to go and do all of these things before I post about the trip, but I've reached the conclusion that by the time the big things sink in I'll have forgotten the small things, so I gotta go for it.

Well, that and the sparkly pieces of my wardrobe stare me down when I get dressed in the morning, practically demanding that I promptly reflect well on our shared experience. Many consider it grounds for mental help, but surely you sentimental bloggers out there know that when you start feeling comradery with/an obligation to certain items of clothing, it's merely time to get typing.

Also "The Power of Love" came on over the Kroger speakers the other day-- obviously Celine herself was urging me to fight the speechlessness. Can't argue with that airtight logic, people.

And so I invite you along as I relive the crescendo that was my parents' reward to me for hard work accomplished.

(I say reward, but really rewards are earned. This was a gift. Hardly earned, but so appreciated. They've forever been teaching me grace in that regard.)

DSCN2495

This is the first picture we took on vacation. It's amazing that for how much I love a good airport I always forget to take pictures in them. No travel pictures this time, which is probably good because it was late/early and mostly we just played fruit ninja. It would be nice to have pictorial evidence of that famed first Vegas meal of McDonalds and trying to ditch our trash as we strolled up into the swanky Trump Towers hotel. The smell of fresh flowers was fortunately strong enough to mask the fast food odor... it was not your regular 'ole febreeze up in there.

Anyway, this picture finds us in line for brunch at the Encore (maybe the Wynn? they look the same to me.) We slept in, threw on some clothes and bee-lined for some food. So did the rest of the city, which was all good because it turns out even waiting is exciting in Las Vegas.

We quickly found that tweeting was a good past time during the long waits.

IMG_5247

captureme45: and waiting in line for some bourgie buffet

We finally made it to the front of the line and ate entirely too much food. So much food, in fact, that Dad called to cancel our dinner reservations. I unsophisticatedly snuck some chocolate covered rice krispie treats out in my purse. That's real life.

DSCN2505

We meandered through the Encore, which I'm convinced was Mom's favorite part of the trip, based on how giddy she was over the whole colorful affair.

DSCN2510

We went back to the hotel (shuttle=mo betta than walking), got ready for the evening, made use of the t.v. in the bathroom mirror, packed up, laughed at the memory of mom breaking the luggage rack at 4 a.m., put on high heels (hindsight= 20/20. Meaning when you're lugging your suitcase to a new location, always opt for comfortable shoes. Or at least shoes with traction.) and made the trek to the Club de Soleil, our little condo across town. That's when a delivery man showed up with these:

DSC_0061

and this note:

DSC_0065

We unpacked and then headed to Mandalay Bay to party it up Michael Jackson style. While mom waited in line to pick up our tickets, Emily and I took pictures. It's a theme, you see. Waiting=pictures.

DSCN2516
DSCN2512

We got tickets, got seated and got to waitin'.

IMG_5251

captureme45: MJ Cirque de Soleil, taking illegal pictures with ;)

IMG_5253

captureme45: Getting and in on the illegal pics

IMG_5254
captureme45: To quote @emilyss2086 "he is on. point."(@smithfamily50 good lookin out)

The show was really good. "Will You Be There" was probably my favorite moment because it was so unexpected, but the obvious songs were obviously great. I mean, can you go wrong with "Man in the Mirror" and acrobats and a huge sparkly white glove dancing on stage? Negative. We were definitely off to a great start.

Dad went to get the car and we struck some poses.

DSCN2526

DSCN2528

We then went grocery shopping at Food 4 Less, got pumped over bagel bites and vacation cereal, unloaded groceries and fell. into. bed.

Tuesday was a scheduled chill day and it was awesome.

IMG_5259

IMG_5261

We slowly brought ourselves to get ready to see the Strip and found our way to parking at Caesars palace. I had to stop and savor a moment of anticipation mixed with appreciation for a good pun.

DSC_0076

We took a few tourist-y shots in front of Caesars

DSC_0078

DSC_0086

DSC_0082

and we were off to dinner at Seredipity 3 (made famous to me by One Fine Day). Long wait=

DSC_0096

DSC_0103



DSC_0105
DSC_0114

DSC_0121

DSC_0122

DSC_0124

DSC_0127

x2_a13b4a8

emilyss2086:Waiting at Serendipity for some dinter. Oh yeah and Ceasar's Palace is behind us :-)

DSC_0131

(It was worth the wait.)

We left there to walk south on the Strip, stopping by the Bellagio fountain (made famous to me by Oceans Eleven.) It was chilly, so they cuddled and it was sweet.

DSC_0133

DSC_0139

DSC_0145

We attempted a good family shot, at least having some fun in the process.

DSC_0140

DSC_0141

"Paris" was across the street, so I turned to take some pictures

DSC_0159

while Emily tweeted this:

x2_a14174d

emilyss2086: Waiting on the fountain show at the Bellagio. Makes me want to watch Oceans 11

All of a sudden, this happened:

DSC_0160

DSC_0162

DSC_0165

Majestic.

See now this is a good example of an appropriate use of "Celine wuh like it..."

DSC_0167

but this is what we were after...

DSC_0169

DSC_0209

DSC_0170

DSC_0171

(Dad was pumped).

DSC_0172

Mom found a little pet cart that I couldn't stop laughing at.

DSC_0173

IMG_5289

captureme45: 2 story Ross Dress For Less!!

We got back on the strip and did a little "New York" sightseeing as we strolled on down to Emily's (or should I say "M&M's") favorite shop.

DSC_0176

DSC_0205

DSC_0179

DSC_0198

DSC_0197

DSC_0186

DSC_0182

DSC_0183

DSC_0181

x2_a149f41

emilyss2086: Favorite stop of the day: m&m world. SO many things I need at my house to be aunt m&m and my future dr's office!!

Dad ran ahead of us for the trek back down the Strip so he could make it back to the apple store in Caesars Palace before it closed. He was like Cinderella approaching midnight. Or Jack Bauer fighting the clock. Probably somewhere in between those scenarios. The point is that he took. off. Leaving the ladies to peruse the bourgie shops.

IMG_5300

captureme45: Just perusing.

captureme45: Passing Louis Vuitton,remarks, "man, I can get that at T.J. Maxx"

Full disclosure: I could NOT figure out the correct spelling of "Vuitton." Luckily, we passed another one so I didn't look too unsophisticated in my tweet. You'll be pleased to know that we never questioned the existence of 2 "x"s in T.J. Maxx. Teege is my homeboy.

Somewhere on the trip back to Caesars we got ridiculous. It didn't take much to send us into fits of giggles. Emily and I stood debating the spelling of "Vuitton" when Mom spoke up from behind. "I missed."

DSC_0219

I did remember to get a picture taken on the stairs Celine took when she first arrived for this go-round of shows.

Celine+Dion+Nelson+Angelil+Celine+Dion+Arrives+4JCqHAiG8LCl

DSC_0224

Girl, yes I did.

Meanwhile, the manager of the Apple store had pity on Dad, who begged his way in at closing time. We met up at the Celine Dion shop at Caesars, where I considered many purchases.

DSC_0231

(I went for the perfume instead).

IMG_5308

Thus we hobbled off to our vehicle, slaphappy as all get out.

captureme45: Shake yo groove thing plays overhead. Emily: dad you're not shaking yo groove thang. Dad: baby my groove thang fell off back round the Aria.

DSC_0206

(a picture for your reference).

emilyss2086: After 8hrs out&about-Mom:more steps 2 elevator or up the stairs? Me:y? ur knees hurtin? Mom:it's not my knees-my whole experience is hurtin!

And so it was that upon returning to the diggs we immediately drew a bath for our achy feet.

x2_a14fc3f

emilyss2086: This is how we recoup after perusing the Las Vegas strip for hours.

Emily and I stayed up entirely too late watching this 90 minute long documentary about Celine's show. (The idea came to mind back at Caesars when Emily wanted to know why in the world I knew Celine had been in that spot.)


Wednesday.

x2_a16fa1d


emilyss2086: Headed to the Hoover Dam/Grand Canyon West.

(this is the day we officially tweeted #GradVegas... when we remembered to).

emilyss2086: And for the drive...

x2_a16fef9

One of my favorite things about road trips is how Mom occasionally puts her hand behind Dad's seat, a subtle gesture of support. I thought to myself this is rewarding.

DSC_0243

Per usual, the hat did not fit my big head.

DSC_0255

We drove through this little town that looked just like the setting of "Cars."

DSC_0259

And the BAM! water.

DSC_0263

DSC_0264

DSC_0266

This is also the day I started adequately appreciating pulleys.

DSC_0269

We hurried up to wait a lot, but found it was, yet again, worth it.

DSC_0274

DSC_0275

We took the opportunity to inform ourselves about the history of the Hoover Dam. Did you know they finished 2 years ahead of schedule?

DSC_0283

DSC_0281

Then it was our turn to see.

This is where the (hydro-electric) magic happens.

DSC_0286

DSC_0291

In the little museum I realized just how boring my obituary will seem compared to these men.

DSC_0298

DSC_0285

(that's the new bridge's shadow cast on the dam).

DSC_0310

DSC_0311

DSC_0335

DSC_0313

I learned something new about Dad on this trip: he's afraid of heights. Done a great job of hiding it for 22 years, though.

DSC_0316

DSC_0322

DSC_0325

DSC_0329

I ain't neva been to the grand canyon before, but I bet it look som'n like this:

DSC_0347

x2_a17ffbc

emilyss2086: At the Hoover Dam. This place is so impressive!

America! Sadie wuh like it!

DSC_0366

At the collection valves.

DSC_0374

Lake Mead, named for the commissioner of the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation 1924-1936, Elwood Mead.

DSC_0377

Cruvy lobbied hard for this picture, so I have to include it, even though I technically hadn't switched the time on my watch.

DSC_0389

The dam sits on the state line between Nevada and Arizona, which also happens to be a division of time zones.

DSC_0385

In that spirit, Dad ventured across the bridge to see if the iPhone would auto correct to pacific time. I was a bit behind with my camera and when I caught up I asked Mom where Dad disappeared to. "Oh, he's somewhere in Arizona."

Luckily, he came back from his (sadly unsuccessful) mission before nightfall.

DSC_0405

We ate a delicious dinner at the Cheesecake Factory and hopped on over to West Elm, where I got engrossed in the displayed reading material. (I learned 2 great lessons this night, but they're for another too-long post).

IMG_5311

We then did up another Ross excursion, this time WAY less overwhelmed than we'd been the day before on the Strip. Dad got a nap in the car.

Thursday was for hanging out.

IMG_5316

captureme45: Hang out day. ('s favorite kind of day) (those are Vegas slippers)

Also for a fabulous brunch.

IMG_5320

By the afternoon there were some signs of cabin fever so we kicked in gear and went to see We Bought a Zoo at the Orleans.

DSCN2529

DSCN2530

Afterwards we considered a double header, but instead decided we'd like to watch a movie at home. This would provide the perfect opportunity to act on our oft-expressed desire to see Oceans 11 again. This would also set Chris Smith on one of his most determined missions-in-the-name-of-making-our-dreams-come-true to date. He bought the Oceans set on blu-ray only to find we didn't have a blu-ray player. He went to get an adapter for his computer so we could play the disc through his mac and see it on the big t.v. Come to find out his computer does not play blu-ray discs. Tempting as it was to essentially take out a blu-ray player on loan from Wal-mart (buy with the intent of return), Dad's third Wal-mart run resulted in the purchase of the Oceans set on regular dvd. Only then all the settings changes in this whole process meant we could NOT get audio through the big T.V. Long story made short long, this was an ordeal. But we watched the big T.V. while listening through the Mac and I, for one, fell more in love with Matt Damon.

Also, Dad running those missions provided great opportunity to watch the encore showing of One Fine Day. The original showing only had minutes left when Emily and I watched while we worked out earlier that evening.

IMG_5331

captureme45: guess what we're watching!?

We fell asleep trying to make it through Oceans 12, so we called it a night.

Friday.

My first words were "it doesn't stop."

I woke up with everyone gathered around me on the fold out couch, where we almost instinctually popped in Oceans 12 to give it another whirl. Dad had something cooking and the timer went off, applying the negative reinforcement full force and without end. This being our 3rd day at the Club de Soleil, I knew the annoying and persistent timer beep all to well. I thought Dad probably figured it'd turn off on its own and that he didn't have to step away from the movie immediately, so I thought I was being helpful. "It doesn't stop."

It was short and dry and matter of fact and I didn't realize until afterwards that I'd actually said it out loud. So, you see, Friday was on of those mornings when you very slowly wake up to the day, so lazy you don't even say anything until it's necessary. Everyone laughed immediately because I sounded like a disgruntled old man. I laughed, too, and sat up when Dad came back to the room with a done up cup of coffee.

IMG_5362

Captureme45: After Oceans 12 to wake up, it's prep time!

We continued to ease our way into the day, excited every time we remembered we were getting ready for the "O" Cirque de Soleil show that evening.

DSC_0411

DSC_0424

We wore comfortable shoes for the afternoon, since there'd be a lot of walking between picking up the tickets,

DSC_0418

DSC_0419

DSC_0430

DSC_0441

strolling through "Paris" to grab the metro,

DSC_0442

DSC_0450

DSC_0455

DSC_0460

DSC_0468

DSC_0469

DSC_0476

DSC_0481

getting to dinner,

DSC_0484

DSC_0486

exploring the Venetian

DSC_0492

DSC_0498

DSC_0499

DSC_0501

DSC_0502

DSC_0508

DSC_0516

DSC_0519

DSC_0526

DSC_0527

DSC_0536

and making our way back to the Bellagio for the show.

Comfy shoes served us very well, but we needed to glam it up for "O." (no relation to Oprah). We accomplished this by a speedy return to the car for a change of shoes. And so Mom could put her shoulder strap inside her purse. That's fancy, y'all. After no more than a minute at the car, we were headed back into the Bellagio. I quipped, "and just like that, we're bourgie."

DSCN2550

When Emily later explained that my line was so funny to her because we'd really only changed shoes, Mom defended "nuh uh, I put my strap in my purse." We stood corrected. Take away message: Emily and I are slackers, while mom takes her evening look very seriously. ;)

We of course tweeted our busy afternoon.

x2_a22cbe0

emilyss2086: Strolling through Paris before dinner at a beautiful steakhouse

IMG_5371

Captureme45: At Banana Republic, is findin' stuff

IMG_5376

captureme45: and me whilst the ladies did they thing at banana republic

IMG_5374

Captureme45: Concert in Venice a definite highlight of this whole trip

x2_a22dc3e

emilyss2086: Now strolling through Venice before heading to "O" cirque du soleil at the Bellagio

IMG_5381

captureme45: Aaaaand welcome to's favorite part of the week-- "O" Cirque

The show was truly awesome. I had a big 'o diet coke, a great seat and a good 'o time. We couldn't let the fun get away from us too quickly, so we lingered outside the auditorium for a while to take pictures (for ourselves and for others).

DSCN2546

DSCN2543_2

DSCN2533

DSCN2537

An employee offered to take a group shot and we decided to make "o"s with our mouths. When mom insisted she get in a picture with us, the woman took off saying "ah, nah, girl, I don't got my good weave on tonight!" Priceless stuff.

DSCN2534

Speaking of priceless stuff...

IMG_5389

captureme45: Another free concert well-enjoyed. This time a beautiful Phantom medley on the ivories.

We played around for a few last minutes at the Bellagio before calling it a night.

DSCN2551

DSCN2558

DSCN2561

DSCN2560

DSCN2563

DSCN2564

Saturday was pure excitement. Emily and I exercised, we finished up the Oceans Trilogy and ate up the food we had laying around.

We took our time getting ready, as you get to do on vacation. Then we were off to the Rio to grab a taxi to navigate the craziness of New Years Eve in Vegas.

Dad did the work, we waited. (read: took pictures)

DSC_0540

DSC_0543

DSC_0545

DSC_0546

DSC_0548

We had some time to kill once at Caesars palace, so we played around at Burberry.

DSC_0551

DSC_0553

Dad made reservations at Spago and had a little trick up his sleeve.

x2_a27efc7

emilyss2086: This was just delivered to our table courtesy of . He's so sweet!

Dinner was fantastic, but my delight was in the company. We took the time to do a total rundown of favorite moments of vacation, to review the crescendo.

IMG_5391

And then it was time!

IMG_5395

captureme45: SO READY FOR THIS!! :D

emilyss2086: I am GIDDY with excitement! We just got seated for Celine Dion at the Colosseum on New Year's Eve! Dream come true!!

Emily wisely advised me to quit worrying about documenting and just soak up the moment of anticipation. We also recommitted ourselves to our pact to not sing aloud. Emily only slipped once on River Deep, Mountain High. To her credit, that was the hardest one for me to hold back on, too.

The show was amazing. You know usually a live performer will go a little flat or sharp and you cringe a bit but you give 'em grace because you love them and that's just the nature of live performance? Well, with all due respect, Celine Dion doesn't need your grace. But, then, I'm biased. As you could tell from this 18,000 word post. (That's not the actual count... could be, though, I bet).

She sang every song you would expect her to sing and a few more and this just in, Celine can skat. My favorite of her chosen extra songs is a toss up between Billy Joel's "Lullaby" and Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror." It's prolly gonna go to "Lullaby" though, because there was a montage of her family videos of the babies and that's just always gonna give you an edge in my book. Yes, Katie Harrison, she sang "All By Myself" and I laughed when she started it :)

After the show, there was a frenzy around the big Celine poster outside of the entrance. We joined the frenzy at first but then decided to wait it out because, really, where did we have to be? It was fantastic to know that the night was young and we had no plans but to enjoy New Years together.

x2_a29f4e9

emilyss2086: This happened...I have no words! What a fantastic finale to an awesome week!

The first kind person to take our picture was wonderful, but chopped off Celine.

DSC_0560

So we chilled by the little poster for a bit.

DSC_0561

DSC_0568

DSC_0570

DSC_0572

DSC_0575

I wish I had pictures of all the people we took pictures for, because that was some funny stuff. Then we re-attempted the big poster and this Brazilian dude hooked us up phat.

DSC_0576

DSC_0577

DSC_0578

DSC_0579

He went all papparazzo on us, looking up from the camera saying, "is okay, one more?"

We finished there and found one more important photo op.

DSC_0584

DSC_0585

Then we headed outside to find prime square footage for some fireworks viewing.

DSC_0590

DSC_0592

DSC_0604

Dad and I wandered a bit, wanting to get a view of the masses of people on the Strip.

DSC_0618

DSC_0620

Madness.

We stopped for hot chocolate on the way back to our bench.

DSC_0638

DSC_0642

IMG_5403

captureme45: In line at Serendipity 3 for hot chocolate to ring in 2012

It took a little longer than we expected, and so we found ourselves running through crowds of people as the masses chanted "10, 9, 8, 7 ..." We set eyes on Mom and Emily at "1...Happy New Year!" It was very movie-esque.

DSC_0645

DSC_0651

DSC_0787

They'd made a few friends while we were gone

DSC_0799

and together we had a good many laughs.

DSC_0812

Good that we had such high spirits, because we were soon to face this:

DSC_0816

With the help of some nice security guards and the most legit sketchy back hallway I've seen to date, we arrived at the oddly serene meet up point that we'd agreed upon with our cab driver.

DSC_0820

Emily won the perseverance award for footwear.

DSC_0826

It's a testament to his patience that he bought us flowers and then did the work of getting them home so we could enjoy them a few more hours worth.

DSC_0828

DSC_0834

Cab's here!

DSC_0835

The first hours of 2012 were fun and wonderful and all but we did not hesitate to say "peace out!" once our beds were in sight. We did take a few minutes for another foot bath and some sparkling cider.

IMG_5404

Sunday morning we packed and put a pep in our step so we could make one last brunch buffet at the Rio.

DSC_0838

IMG_5412

IMG_5413

Because where else can you have hash browns, scrambled eggs, fried rice, salmon alfredo, french toast, a belgian waffle, cantelope, green beans, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, some crab, and a diet coke in one meal?

x2_a2cb194

emilyss2086:@ the biggest buffet I've ever seen @ the Rio before heading 2 the airport.


While waiting outside the Rio, Celine showed up one last time to say goodbye.

IMG_5414

I spent the majority of the flight reading my new book Secrets of 24, the same one I saw at West Elm Wednesday night that Dad ordered off of amazon and had delivered to our door at Club de Soleil on Friday afternoon. That man.

emilyss2086: Safely back in NWA. Best Trip EVER! Happy graduation toand me! We are so blessed.

That's right, vacation ended and so, too, will this post (finally).

But we milked the last hours of vacation for all it was worth, staying up til 6 a.m. Monday morning to watch Homeland. We were up and at 'em at 10 and on the road by 12 and back to enjoying Celine through the usual venue-- blaring speakers. At least now we can sing along again.

That's the story of my graduation "reward"-- the crescendo that was December 25-January 1.

"Children will not remember you for the material things you provided but for the feeling that you cherished them." -Richard L. Evans

No comments: