Thursday, January 3, 2013

{no small challenge}

A couple of weeks ago I snapped a few frames of the kids being their usual charming selves.

The images are filled with the motion, commotion, and community of daily life with these people. 

Take, for instance, this charming progression:

DSC_0009
DSC_0012
DSC_0015
DSC_0021
DSC_0023

They remind me to be grateful for all of it. Not just what looks pretty. 

I threw the salvageable images together in a book with a few words and prayed that the sincerity of the gift would not be lost in its simplicity.

I suppose, though, that oftentimes deepest sincerity is conveyed in the simplest of actions. They needn't be at odds. 

{Which got me thinking of how often I miss the sincere joy of this season -- of life-- because I fail to recognize and accept and appreciate it as simply as God bent -- bends-- to offer it.}



It's that simple (it's that hard). 

{no small challenge}



Dear Heather,


When the kids inevitably protested doing another photo session this year, I did what any tried and true caregiver would: I begged and bribed. With ice cream at stake, they cooperated fully--and I felt very little shame as I snapped away from behind the lens.


Then I loaded the pictures to my computer and studied the images.


This isn't the harvest of shameless bribing sown-- their cooperation has much more to do with the plea by which I framed this effort.


"Guys, I know it isn't your favorite..."

(There are eye rolls and sighs and inaudible "psh-you-got-that-rights.")

"...okay, you loathe the idea. But there is *nothing* your mother values more than the three of you, so basically your faces are my only hope for a meaningful gift to her."
 
It's {no small challenge} to daily discipline and encourage kids towards understanding their value* and deciding to use it well in the world-- these three are well on their way. I hope these imperfect photos testify to the love and life you're successfully fostering in them.


I begged and they acquiesced because they know it's true: they are cherished and irreplaceable.

And, of course, ice cream never hurts.


Another year past, and I still feel so privileged to be doing and learning life with your family- -  y'all are such a gift.


With love,
Sadie

*value: precise meaning or import, the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance or preciousness of something.

DSC_0038

DSC_0039

DSC_0056

DSC_0085

DSC_0092

DSC_0097

DSC_0113

DSC_0122

DSC_0179

DSC_0211

DSC_0216

DSC_0218

DSC_0252

DSC_0268

DSC_0393

DSC_0399

DSC_0414

DSC_0425

DSC_0431


Jack (11)

Let me but live my life from year to year,
With forward face and unreluctant soul;
Not hurrying to, nor turning from the goal;
Not mourning for the things that disappear
In the dim past, nor holding back in fear
From what the future veils; but with a whole
And happy heart, that pays its toll
To Youth and Age, and travels on with cheer.

So let the way wind up the hill or down,
O'er rough or smooth, the journey will be joy:
Still seeking what I sought when but a boy,
New friendship, high adventure, and a crown,
My heart will keep the courage of the quest,
And hope the road's last turn will be the best.

{Henry Van Dyke, "Life"}


DSC_0127

DSC_0430

DSC_0396

DSC_0277

DSC_0279


Gabe (8)

Two roads
diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could

...

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

{Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"}


DSC_0148

DSC_0315

DSC_0025

DSC_0407

DSC_0167

DSC_0050

DSC_0314


Camille (6)

We, unaccustomed to courage
exiles from delight
live coiled in shells of loneliness
until love leaves its high holy temple
and comes into our sight
to liberate us into life.
Love arrives
and in its train come ecstasies
old memories of pleasure
ancient histories of pain.

Yet if we are bold,
love strikes away the chains of fear
from our souls.
We are weaned from our timidity
In the flush of love's light
we dare be brave
And suddenly we see
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

{Maya Angelou, Touched by an Angel"}


DSC_0063

DSC_0174

DSC_0209

DSC_0302

DSC_0109

DSC_0172

DSC_0429

Colossians 3:12-17

12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Proverbs 24: 3-6

By wisdom a house is built
and by understanding it is established;
by knowledge the rooms are filled
with all precious and pleasant riches.

A wise man is  full of strength,
and a man of knowledge enhances his might
for by wise guidance you can wage your war,
and in abundance of counselors there is victory. 

No comments: