Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Midnight (Plane) to Georgia

Well, I'm in Atlanta at the Oral History Association's annual national conference. I don't have my cord here to upload pictures, nor do I really have many that really capture what this experience has been. Mostly because you can't go all shutterbug-gy on your professor and the one other student you're traveling with.

That just wouldn't look right in pictures. That, and it would just be awkward. So mostly I just have pictures of this swank hotel room (no offense to the fall break hotel) and the outfit I wore today because I ironed and that made me feel old. Or at least a legitimate conference-er.

But then I texted mom and dad a picture of myself all dressed up just to make sure they were a part of this "first" in my life as if it were my first day of kindergarten. That kind of detracted from the scholarly mood I had going.

Why am I here, you ask? I'll steer clear of the very long philosophical path I could take on that one, for your sake and for mine. For my sake because I have a 4-5 page paper to write and for yours because you don't want a 4-5 page paper on my thoughts on the purpose of life. Win/win. I guess I just figured it was high time for an update, and for some reason I never feel as compelled to bring my random thoughts/happenings here as I used to, for better or for worse. I think it might be that I know I have a bit of a readership now and I don't want y'all to think that I actually expect you to care about the really inconsequential things going down.

I also would like to have on record that I spent 3 hours stuck at Reagan, then 3 1/2 hours on the plane (in addition to the 1 h. 45 m. flight time) with Dr. Rigelhaupt and Christiane and they were some of the most enjoyable hours of my undergraduate career (I threw that phrase in there to bring the professional ora back). We were so delirious last night when we got to the hotel around 11:45.

Finally, I wanted to feel like I was doing some sort of something productive while I watch Game 2 of the series (shame on them rangers for Game 1... but HEY! THE RANGERS ARE IN THE SERIES!!!) and also the office.

*Then* I will start my paper.

Oh, my. Forget the midnight train, yours truly will be burnin' the midnight oil. But this has been SO worth it. Shout out to the fine people at the Dean's office of UMW for limiting the cost of this weekend to my own procrastination. :)

1 comment:

Katie Jones said...

Ah dang, I'm gonna miss the inconsequential things come May.

word verification: "bedema" --what Madina's name should be if it weren't Madina.