Tuesday, January 20, 2009

44




I'm watching democracy work. 

Not as closely as Holly and Travis, but viewing it nonetheless. 

Yesterday we went into DC altogether. It was fun, but the hype a little overwhelming. Seeing all of the merchandise, the glitter, the bu
ttons, the glam, the flags with Obama's face painted on, shirts for the Black House. Craziness. I am happy to see a new president-- God knows George W. Bush needs a break. Still, the hysteria, the superstardom, the elevation of man put me at an unease. 

Today it is gone. Because I see a unity between the presidents. I see, as John Kennedy once asked America would, not a victory of party but of democracy. This is not a celebration of the democratic party, but of an entire democratic nation. Democracy depends on change. Change is its unique characteristic. Change is America's sustenance. The change Obama has promised may not be my cup of tea. His opinion may differ in many ways from my own. His politics may not benefit my class or forward my goals. But the fact that our political process allows for the peaceful transference of power from one commander in chief to another as they sit just feet from each other is worth 4 (or 8) years of whatever personal cost. 

I have to stop and say for the record, well really for Holly, that Sascha Obama is wearing red and pink. Hol, you could have pulled it off. 

Here he is. Barack H. Obama. 
 
Rick Warren has turned the Obamas over into His love and care.

Aretha is fidna get down on some my country tis of thee. With a fabulous bow hat, I might add.

This music by John Williams is amazing. 

America now has a 44th President.

... and God bless the United States of America. 

What a country and what a crowd, in the words of this commentator. 

Praise song for struggle. Praise song for the day. 
love beyond marital, filial, national. 

Benediction.
He's got the whole world in his hands. 
Receive your servant Barack Obama. 
When brown can stick around. When yellow can stay mellow. When the red man can get ahead man. 
... just some excerpts. 

Come on Sea Chanters! ... they don't have anything on my musical flag, which has a great finale. 

No comments: