Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Complement


The other day I was with some church ladies working and laughing and having a good time.

One of them was just so lovely and fun-- inviting and endearing. A woman whose presence just makes you breathe easier and live a little. A woman who wants you to make yourself at home and with whom you can.

A woman like my mom. So I said, "Sandy, you remind me so much of my mom."

She and another lady winced.

"Is that supposed to be a good thing?" she asked.

"Well, yeah." Then it crossed my mind where she was headed and I honestly felt terrible for bringing it up.

"I'd never compare someone to my mom as a compliment."

And there it was. Just in time for mother's day, a reminder of just what a blessing it is that my mom puts the time and energy into loving us good and loving us well. She makes it seem so easy, this consideration and affection that she offers each of us individually. But there I sat in the presence of two women reminding me gently that it is not easy, and that relationships with moms are certainly not effortless.

As with most of the ways I am so privileged, I am so not sure why it is me-- who got to have the mother to whom it is a compliment to be compared. I do know that it has been through many prayers and maybe even more tears that she is coming to complement her children and build complementary relationships among us. And I can do nothing less than praise God for the sweet laughter in our home that results from her spiritual diligence.

When I was looking up the correct uses of compliment and complement (just to make sure I used them correctly, you know, because sometimes I can, um, mix these things up...) I found this definition:

5 : the thermolabile group of proteins in normal blood serum and plasma that in combination with antibodies causes the destruction especially of particulate antigens (as bacteria and foreign blood corpuscles)


So hopefully Emily or Steph or Peterso can shed some light on that later. Until then, we'll go with this one:

Complements supplement each other, each adding something the others lack.
1 a : something that fills up, completes, or makes perfect.

Okay, so we as her children are far from perfect. Let's not get carried away. But what a gift we have in our mom that she continually spurs us on towards perfection in the only place it can be found-- that is, in Christ. How meaningful it is, then, that on this the "Low-ards" day (she's called it that since before I can remember) I also get to celebrate my mom. And I do.

I celebrate the way she calls us beautiful.

DSC_0697

I celebrate her involvement in our lives, even on the days when she feels "poopy."

DSC_0717

I celebrate her laugh

DSC_0311

and skill

DSC_0354

her above average ability to throw down a shindig

DSC_0404

her support at home...

DSC_0467

...her support at school

IMG_0041

her letting me get a(nother) dog ;)

DSC_0607

her above average ability to play "peep-eye"

DSC_1541

her humor

IMG_0513

her *need* for a DRANK!

DSC_0989

AND her cute scrubs

DSC_0480

I celebrate our unscripted moments

DSC_0508_2

and "formal" occasions

DSC_0546

I celebrate all the practice she's put into becoming not just Mom (or Trudy, or Baby, or Cruvy, or huuh-ney) or Tutu (the aunt), but now Tutu (the grandmother).

DSC_1592

DSCN0584

DSC_0137

DSC_0628

DSC_0458

Mom, you add something to each of our lives (not just your children) that without you we lack--you are a complement. Allow me, then, to compliment God on His handiwork in you. Thank you for all that you do ;) We love you!

DSC_0265

DSC_0268

DSC_0272

DSC_0510

4 comments:

Ashley Peterson said...

Um...I totally just took a class where I learned all about definition number 5! But, my brain's off for the summer - I'll get back to you in august ;)

Also - A big Happy Mother's Day to Trudy Smith!

word verification - "prizess" like all the goodies Trudy Smith sends to you for all of us to play with when she so kindly shares you with those of us in FredVegas!

nancygrayce said...

Your mama seems wonderful!

Gillian said...

Beautiful!

Verification: reledef. I am releadef I'll see you in the morning!

PS I then got the verification wrong and had to retry Darn dyslexia.

Claire said...

may I just say that I love how many straws make an appearance in this post? ;)