Dear Truett,
Word on the street is that you are going to take your sweet little time getting here. So that when you're here, I'll be there.
I'll just be that funny aunt from far, far away with the obnoxiously loud laugh who makes you call her "auntie," I suppose.
But I have to say that this time preparing our lives and hearts for you has been quite sweet enough to tide me over until October -- which is right around the time you'll be for-real smiling anyway. Your gassy smiles wouldn't fool me even if I was around.
Precious baby boy, you are so loved.
I've held my breath through enough of your mom's appointments to become a professional tank-less diver. And I've let out enough sighs of relief to keep an Arkansan cool in July after the verdict is delivered each time-- you're healthy.
I've prayed many prayers over you, as I know so many others have. In general they've gone like this:
I can't wait for you to thump a heartbeat into Baby Smith-- that we could all breathe a little easier. Until then, continue to craft Baby's organs and tissues just right- preparing him or her for the purpose you have for it on this earth. Thank you for loving this baby more than we even know to yet and promising him or her that love faithfully for a lifetime. You know the days in that life already, but God I ask your special blessing and guidance on them and for Luke and Stephanie as they raise this baby through said days. (1-24-10)
Truett! (3-6-10)
Thank you for Truett and the hope of new life in our family. Grow him up in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and man. Even now, what a miracle, Lord. (4-6-10)
For Truett. Healthy babies don't just happen. You know that. You are weaving him together perfectly in a secret place. Forever is in your hands, and so is this baby. I am thankful for lungs, kidneys, and 4 chambers. For however long Luke and Steph have him, Lord, he is really just yours. Do what you will in that tiny baby you are crafting. (4-10-10)
These are just the thoughts of your aunt. Your parents take cherishing and nurturing you to a whole new level because for now you are theirs for the keeping.
It goes without saying that Tutu and whatever-you-decide-to-call-the-bald-one have a special place for you in their hearts (and house). They stake claim to 1/4 of you and, unlike me, they already know what it's like to have a piece of them shake up the entire world by just being.
(Between you and me, squirt, you'll be doing well to get 1/4 of Tutu and Baldy's character. Also, please don't choose baldy for his name, it's just filler for now).
As for your mom and dad, I can't decide whose laugh I'd rather you have. I can't decide whose smile or cheeks or personality you should inherit. What is so cool about you is that you don't have to be one or the other. You get to be a little of both and then a lot of your own. Sweet gig.
(It would be okay if you inherit your mother's hair. See Baldy for more information. But still don't actually call him that).
All of this comes down to how I can't wait to meet you.. the you snackin' on milk and cookies this side of your Mom.
None of us can wait.
We can't wait to kiss you,
to feed you,
clothe you,
diaper you,
rock you,
bathe you,
or sing you to sleep.
And we've taken our sweet little time getting the stage set for your debut.
Sweet time we'll never have again. Time when God began His work in you while we slapped some paint on a wall and called ourselves artists -- as if our handiwork compared.
The time when God molded your face and features as we cut edges and outlets.
Time when the fragility of the entire process made me seek more fervently the God who knows your every day.
Time that will seem much less sweet compared to having you here.
But take your sweet little time, baby.
The joy of meeting you will make up for any delay of the occasion.
I am certain of it.
(just don't take too long for your mom's sake, okay?)



































No comments:
Post a Comment