Monday, August 20, 2012

Tune My Heart

Again, as always, I've been waiting for words to encase the convictions rattling around in my heart. 

Solid words. and shiny. 

Like some fancy silver rattle, welded tight, so that the accumulating thoughts don't spill loose like choking hazards. 

And, as always, waiting around for captivating, entertaining, fascinating, safe, shiny words-- waiting for confidence in my story-telling ability or depth of insight-- has me backed into a corner. 

They're always going to be broken, these words of mine. Incomplete. 

In finding God faithful to provide the wisdom I seek earnestly and humbly (when I manage to assume such a posture), I so desire to write down the lesson learned. Let's be honest, I'm usually learning these things the hard way and I want to remember them well--to relay them here well-- because of all of their struggles, it was the Israelites' forgetfulness that most often got them cornered. 

"Are you not the One who dried up the sea, 
the waters of the great deep; 
that made the depths of the sea a road 
for the redeemed to cross over?

So the ransomed of the Lord shall return, 
and come to Zion with singing,
with everlasting joy on their heads. 
They shall obtain joy and gladness;
sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

"I, even I, am He who comforts you.
Who are you that you should be afraid
of a man who will die,
and the son of man who will be made like grass?

And you forget the LORD your Maker,
Who stretched out the heavens 
And laid the foundations of the earth;

You have feared continually every day 
Because of the fury of the oppressor,
When he has prepared to destroy.
And where is the fury of the oppressor?

The captive exile hastens that he may be loosed,
that he should not die in the pit,
and that his bread should not fail.

But I am the LORD your God,
who divided the sea whose waves roared--
the LORD of hosts is his name.

And I have put My words in your mouth;
I have covered you with the shadow of My hand.
That I may plant the heavens,
Lay the foundations of the earth,
And say to Zion, 'You are my people.'"
(Isaiah 51: 10-16)

Yes, I want to remember well what He's done, lest his providence go uncelebrated in my life. Lest I lose sight of what He's ultimately doing-- that is, planting the heavens here and generally having my back while He establishes his Kingdom around me, despite me, through me. 

But then it seems silly to get on here to hammer out words for testifying, for collecting loose insights when it's welding that does the work of securing testimony-- welding I'm powerless to accomplish for myself. 

"My son, if you receive my words,
and treasure my commands within you,
So that you incline your ear to wisdom,
and apply your heart to understanding;
Yes, if you cry our for discernment,
and lift up your voice for understanding,
if you seek her as silver,
and search for her as for hidden treasures;
Then you will understand the fear of the LORD, 
and find the knowledge of God.
For the LORD gives wisdom;
from His mouth come knowledge and 
understanding."
(Proverbs 2: 1-6)


He's refining, you see, and it isn't my job to get on here with shiny words of life lived happily, smoothly, wisely with a little bit of the Lord working below the surface. 

My job is to revere the Welder and worship that He provides meaning at all to the fleeting efforts of the hastening exile. 

I have put My words in your mouth...


"Come thou fount of every blessing
                                                      Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
                                                      Streams of mercy never ceasing
                                                       Call for songs of loudest praise.


Teach me some melodious sonnet
                                                      Sung by flaming tongues above.
                                                    Praise the mount, I'm fixed upon it
                                                       Mount of Thy redeeming love.


Oh to grace how great a debtor
                                                           Daily I'm constraint to be!
                                                       Let Thy goodness like a fetter,
                                                   Bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander Lord i feel it
Prone to leave the God I love.


Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it.
Seal it for thy courts above."

(--"Come Thou Fount," by Robert Robinson)

For posterity's sake, a glimpse into these days of attunement:

(attunement: to make aware or responsive; harmonize, conciliate, coordinate, accomodate)

IMG_4840

IMG_6549

IMG_6690

IMG_7134

IMG_6983

DSC_0047

IMG_2965

DSC_0147

IMG_6270

DSC_0568

DSC_0593

IMG_6506

DSC_0631


IMG_6616

IMG_5865

IMG_6852

IMG_6863

DSC_0321

IMG_7056

IMG_8123

IMG_7521

IMG_6903

IMG_7989

IMG_7922

IMG_8049

IMG_8122

IMG_8325

DSC_1120

DSC_1270

DSC_0053


DSC_0229


DSC_0287

IMG_8175

IMG_8676

IMG_8895

IMG_8916

IMG_8984

IMG_8971


DSC_0073



DSC_0209



DSC_0246


DSC_0339

DSC_0389


DSC_0403


DSC_0482

DSC_0498

DSC_0533

DSC_0673

No comments: