A lot of the time I think of satisfied as complacent. I feel like if I'm satisfied, there's something wrong-- something more I can be doing. Part of it I truly believe comes from this college world where there is literally always something due. If not tomorrow, next week. If not next week, a really big paper in a month. All of it seems to loom. And though there may be something constantly due, sometimes the best answer is to quit doing. Or at least quit doing the routine. Setting into a routine is complacency. Satisfaction comes in doing something purposefully unroutine (not a word).
In Karthia, Katie defined joy as satisfied pain. Pain that we couldn't work hard to get rid of. Pain that didn't just go away. Pain that is dealt with. Pain that is covered. Not gone. Satisfied.
"In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength." -Isaiah 30:15
"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, and you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flames shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." -Isaiah 43:1-3
"Your father knows what you need before you ask him. Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? So do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we wear?" For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Today's trouble is enough for today." -Matthew 6:8, 31-34
Joy is not the absence of pain. It is the knowledge that we have a God and a Savior who are able and willing to take it on for us... who have taken it on for us. My work in and of itself is not pain. The turmoil I go through in trying to balance my schedule is. It hurts to not have enough time for this and that and to feel pulled in so many different directions. Still, I have the Capacity to have satisfaction. My bed is not made. My closet is a wreck. My paper is not written. But I am satisfied. Or at least I could be. In the words of the great Trudy Smith-- give it to God.
Today I set out on a mission to find my black boots. Yet another reason to love fall-- bringing out the boots. Well, theoretically it's a great part of the changing seasons.
Practically, however, finding the shoes in the back corner of the closet becomes an issue when you're running late and your roommate is trying to sleep in. It gets loud and it gets messy (that's what she said...oh no...). In my case the closet won.
... drop what you're doing, roll up your pants, and jump some rope. Get outside of the schedule and allow God to satisfy at least a portion of your pain. Enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment