Monday, February 16, 2009

"His Soul Shall Dwell at Ease"

-Psalm 25:13

One of the rewards of patience, no doubt.


Deirdre gave me this 2009 calender that gives one Psalm and a thought to go with it every day. It is simple and takes about 5 seconds to read and give perspective to my day. Unfortunately I did not read today's until about 2 p.m., and today was one of those where within one minute of getting out of bed I just wanted to redo it. I had a serious case of the mondays this morning. I felt like I got little done this weekend, unprepared for classes to start for the week, and just not looking forward to what I need to get done in the next couple of weeks. I was feeling great while laying in my bed. I woke up on my own at 7:15. I love that feeling of waking up, thinking for just a second that I've accidentally slept in, then realizing that I still have time to get some extra sleep. My window was open last night (because when Noelle is gone, I like to sleep with the room unusually cold so I can bundle up) and it had gotten pretty chili so I closed it and turned the heater on. I'm telling you, the morning in the bed was going swimmingly. But by the time I was peeing on the toilet all I wanted was to climb back in the bed and do absolutely nothing without it having very negative implications for my academic life. Or my spiritual life.

Luckily my classes went really well today, I was not near as behind as I convinced myself I was and I came back to the room to find the above Psalm for the day... short enough to be the blog title for the day; the most apt title for the day; all I needed to be set straight. The only thing I wanted from the moment I began the battle with myself this morning was to be at ease. The only thing I want in life is to be in a state of ease. I mean, obviously things are going to agitate me and they should, it's how one learns and grows. But despite moods and irritations and information that is tough to swallow, I want to claim Peace. He reminded me this afternoon that it starts with patience. That ease is one reward of patience.

I believe God stirs up some temporary unease in order to teach us a little bit about living in a state of ease. He sure chooses some strange times-- some comical, some really really hurtful. But in each He promises to reward our patience (however immature or sporadically it appears).

No comments: