the quote should end like this: "e'rything."
But I don't want to sugarcoat it.
Let's face it, I don't like everything about Emily. Or she, me.
Like the other night (when she was here... how cool is that?) I said something along the lines of "you know what song really bugs Emily?" and proceeded to play it.
Emily's comedic response gives pretty accurate insight into our history. "See, this is why we had issues growing up. 'What would annoy Emily most? I know, I'll do that thing!'"
Such was (and apparently still is a little bit) our life.
Similarly, when I picked Emily up around 5 last Monday she asked "what are we doing for dinner?"
As I drove in a direction I was not completely confident about I responded, "something with Noelle. She's going to call me to tell me where she is and then we'll make a plan."
Emily looks at me with such perplexity. "You think we should do that soon?"
It's not like we were driving aimlessly. But 'cept for we kind of were. Emily made gestures in front of her face to indicate some sort of inner calming. "Whooo, we are not the same. You do not think like I do." It was more a reminder for herself than a reprimand of me. I appreciate that.
So I won't sugarcoat it.
Mostly because I think what we do have is pretty sweet sans the pretty pink frosting. Besides, what I like about her will forever outweigh what I don't.
I can't lie, though, what I don't like didn't really ever show up last week. It was just so much fun. Good, soul deep fun. The kind that, for me, is specific to our sisterhood. I mean I have fun in a lot of different ways with a lot of different people.
At my apartment with friends.
At Caribou with friends.
At the apartment with friends (again).
At La Petite Maison Blanche
At the skating rink.
But there is something about having Emily here that enhances each of these things. Watch:
Something about being us. Something about getting to be me. In a way that I'm not without her. In a way that bonds us.
Even if it's just on a rainy day watching Felicity. It may not seem groundbreaking, but it means so much to me that she'd fly 1000 miles to do so with me.
To buy me school paraphernalia.
To buy me dinner.
To get to know my friends.
To look up maps of my current little town.
To do work with me.
To care about me.
I like that about her. It's not all that I like, and I may not like every thing. But sometimes having her for a sister just means e'rything to me.
Not just because she cares about me. But because she is so caring.
It makes her an excellent friend. Daughter. Student. Doctor-to-be. Worshipper. And for me, Sister.
That is what I like about her.
Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body.
- I Corinthians 12:14-20
It is a pleasure to call you flesh and blood, baby!

























1 comment:
What a great blog...Loved the post..and all the pictures...Loved visiting your blog...Blog hopping is one of my favorite things to do.
Hope you will stop by my Christmas blog...a great giveaway will be given away Sunday night....
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/
http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com
Post a Comment