Friday, November 20, 2009

100

There are about 100 things going on right now, it seems.

There is this to do and that to do. This and that. This and that. If you say it over and over again, it becomes like a beat in your head that you can't get out. It becomes monotonous, said beat. A buzz in your ear as you go from activity to activity. It can even get to be a ringing that you would give your right arm to silence. At night when you are going to sleep, you promise you could handle this all if you could just get a break. This and that. This and that. The cycle just needs a break.

Or maybe, yes maybe, my hearing needs a little retuning.

Perhaps the ringing could move more in the direction of a hum. The silence less shrill. Movement less frantic. Possibly even melodic. This and that, this and that. Background music. Its persistence does not harbor the availability of perspective.

Yes, in the middle of this and that, perspective helps. It carries the beat.

DSC_0308

So, without really knowing it, we went looking for some perspective today, Sarah and I. In the middle of nowhere we found what we weren't really looking for. And the 100's of things? Almost, for the time being at least, irrelevant. This is and that, a faded melody to which we took to frolicking around a barn or 8.

DSC_0063

Frolicking and photo snapping. Found out today that it's what Sarah and I do best. The 100 things stayed in the car as we tuned our ears to the wind and the creeks and the bugs and the gravel beneath our wandering feet.

100. Psalm.

Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.

DSC_0045

Worship the LORD with gladness;

DSC_0206
DSC_0223

come before him with joyful songs.

DSC_0459
DSC_0420

Know that the LORD is God.

DSC_0437
DSC_0066

It is he who made us, and we are his;

DSC_0294
DSC_0532

we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.

DSC_0225
DSC_0213

Enter his gates with thanksgiving

DSC_0521
DSC_0355

and his courts with praise;

DSC_0162

give thanks to him and praise his name.

DSC_0425
DSC_0221

For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;

DSC_0359
DSC_0332

his faithfulness continues through all generations.

DSC_0203

DSC_0196

DSC_0198

DSC_0520


This and that sounding like a broken record? Dust it off, pop that sucker back in, and dance a little. So I guess now I have one hundred and one things going on. But I don't think I could handle the 100 without the one.

DSC_0493

4 comments:

JD said...

This post touched my heart this morning in ways only God knew I needed... what a blessing it was to read this today.

Thank you, for your joy, your enthusiasm, your expression of it both in words and in photographs.

I love the photos... reminds me of Ohio...

Sarah said...

Sadie, I love you. My heart is lighter because of the day God gifted us yesterday! What a joyful and wonderful time to spend with a sister. It was nice to put the worries, tasks and this and thats aside to discover the delights that God had in store for us!

I'm looking forward to some more days of discovering God's creation with you!

Gillian said...

BEAUTIFUL! Sarah was not kidding when she said you two found a BEAUTIFUL place.

Katie M said...

Sadie these are awesome!