We are all adults here, right?
So you won't laugh when I tell you what my geography teacher informed our class of today. I tell ya, geography is much more than you'd think (and I'd thought). Because stuff like this falls under its net. Stuff like what?
Oh, just World Toilet Day.

No, this is not another attempt to plug the go-girl on my blog. (What's that? I just did? Maybe I should just go ahead and stick Toms shoes in).
But if the go-girl company exists to spread the word to women that you "don't have to take life sitting down" then World Toilet Day exists to spread the word to everyone that the majority of people don't have the option to sit down. I guess one option would be to mass produce go-girls. Hmm. Maybe they really are up to something over there.
Doubtful. (trust me I've tried it)
Anyway, I walked into class today and this article, entitled "Ode to the Commode," was being displayed and I just immediately thought about what a great day is was going to be.

I remember what it was like in Greece to not be able to flush the toilet paper and we typically focused on how different that was. Much less the thought of not even having a toilet at all. Then in Brazil there were a couple of times I did just have to go in a community barrel and, well, it gives you a new perspective... for like two weeks. Then I went on without questioning my ability to just head to the porcelain. Or, as Luke would say, go drop some Cosby's off at the pool. That's real life.
The only person around here who could maybe identify with the feeling of not having a toilet is Peterso, who is, alas, not allowed to use the bathrooms here at our Apt. Because that's the sort of stupid stuff you can make up in a roommate housing agreement. And because sometimes it's just too easy to mess with her ;).

Anyway, today reminded me of those times overseas and how I vowed not to take things for granted and how I have again. So if you have had an experience like that, take a minute to recall the feeling and, at least for today, let's have a renewed thankfulness for what we do have.
Our appreciation for the privileges around us will have a trickle down effect.
It will flow from us.
We should be flushed with gratitude.
Okay, I'm done. But when I look at the pictures of what other people have to live with, and in, it's not like I have the right to say "g-ross." and go on with my day happily perched on a shiny rim. Instead there is a responsibility to say "it could be me." And if it was me, I'd simply have to find a way to deal. They do and their lives go on and they don't need a bunch of people halfway around the world simply feeling sorry for them. But it might be comforting to know that those people with what I go without recognize the gap as a problem. So I won't just go on happy with what I have, I'll allow myself to be slightly disturbed by this newly revived awareness of that gap. And maybe, just maybe, that attitude and the support of organizations put in place to address the situation will... I don't know. Bring some relief.

Yes I am ashamed of myself.
Seriously, throw a little thankfulness into your day and watch as round and round it goes.
You might even hum "joy to world" when you flush, just for today.
You know, for the cause and everything.
And you thought November 19 was a waste of a day... psh.
2 comments:
oh.my.gosh!! you are my favorite person in all of the world. how do you come up with this stuff? hope you know that you really need to write - you are good.
thankful for you AND my toilet,
sheryl
I remember reading (aka looking at pictures in) a whole book about world toilets in my geography class in 8th grade on World Toilet Day and being pretty blown away by it.
Let's camp out all next semester with camo go-girl.
Post a Comment