Friday, August 26, 2011

Dear Truett,


{my "introduction" to the scrapbook I made Truett for his birthday}

I distinctly remember the first time I got to hold you. Though we'd waited hours (months, really) to come in to see you, it felt so sudden once you were in my arms. Love for you and thankfulness to God rushed over us all. The Bible says that the LORD gives and takes away, that his name is to be ever praised. On August 21st, He gave.

With jubilant souls housed in exhausted bodies, we kept whispered praise on our lips in those early morning hours-- so grateful for every healthy inch of you. Given all this collective emotion, I probably could (and maybe should) have come up with something a bit more sentimental to share with minutes-old you. But after the obligatory (still heartfelt) "I love you," Emily and I instead decided to issue a warning together.

"Truett, we are cah-razy."

In the days since -- 365 to be exact -- you've seen both the love and the cah-razy up close and personal. Many of the pictures I've included in this album are a testament to those moments -- big and small -- of affection and antics. As I danced or played peek-a-boo behind the lens, your facial expressions conveyed your thoughts perfectly -- "Sadie, you are crazy!"

Well, kid, I warned you.

DSC_0159

I can tell here recently that my enthusiasm doesn't much surprise you anymore, as you no longer stare, confused -- you just crawl swiftly on with a demeanor that mumbles, "not this again."

I really don't expect you to understand my humor. But you should know that the intense crazy is rooted in love. And you should know that you are loved. It is a truth that will sustain you. On your first birthday and always, it is the best gift you will receive. I pray that the Lord gives you so many opportunities to learn about His perfect love, free of condition. I also hope you find creative, courageous ways to share it. You see, all people are loved by our Creator God. But not all people have the privilege of parents whose priority in marriage and parenthood is to emulate Christ, the ultimate display of God's great love. You and I, Truett? We got those parents.

It is a blessing out of which we must learn to bless others.

DSC_0296

When I scan the pages of this book, I see so many imperfections -- crooked lines, fingerprints, awkward spacing, bad penmanship. I also see what it lacks-- there are, after all, so many more proud, loyal family members and friends than I was able to capture on camera and include here. But I hope that what I have included gives you and others who look on a sense of just how precious these 12 months have been.

DSC_0481

Put simply, you've changed our lives.

With so much love,

Sadie
August 21, 2011


DSC_0071

No comments: