Thursday, August 21, 2008

Accentuate the Positive





... eliminate the negative. 

I'll need the song in the days ahead, which will be so crazily-- and for the most part, wonderfully-- full of activity.

Small things are bound to go wrong, attitudes may flare up, or at the very least the negative will be a few tears shed over leaving once again the physical home that I love. I often tell people who ask me how school's going that however much I miss home is how much I love Fredvegas.

It sort of all balances out. And I'm so very thankful that He does. 

So many linger on the power of a positive attitude. And on all of their points, I pretty much agree.

So much of life is how we respond, not necessarily the situation.

But I'm beginning to find that even more powerful than a positive attitude, which places so much reliance on feelings and control of oneself, is the power of a positive God.

His love is a state. It is a constant. It's not just a feeling that is swayed by a curse in his direction or, say, a summer less sacrificed to Him than He probably would have desired. It is forever there. It is just as available to me as it is to the person on the next blog or a president or a pope.

And because He forever loves each and every one of his creations he sent his Son to die on the cross for, that we could live in fellowship of this love eternally. Sound too good to be true? I think so. I know it sounds kind of out there... but have you seen the Universe? It's out there. 

Not only does he offer unconditional love, with it comes: patience, kindness, no envy, no boasting, no pride. No rudeness, no selfishness, no short temper, no record, no delight in evil. Protection, trust, hope, and perseverance (I Corinthians 13:4-7). Those who choose to receive it can be confident that as they seek these attributes of Him, he will slowly reveal these same characteristics through us. 

It's the seeking I'm working on. Hear me now, if any of the above mentioned qualities are missing from my life, it is not an issue of His ability to provide but of my own carelessness. Still, I can remain positive for knowing that He who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus (Phil. 1:6).

Obviously after the traffic incident tonight I need to seek a little more of His patience! The joy of knowing that all of God's attributes are available to me sustains me (or it should).

Caroline told me the other day at lunch (halfway through the day!) that she just couldn't wait until today. It seemed odd to me that after a park playdate, dress up, chic-fil-a and ice cream she would still be looking forward to something else. When I asked her why so, she said because she got to spend more time with me at home. 


If only I looked forward to more things.

I mean birthdays, yeah. Christmas, yeah. Em becoming a doctor, yeah. Mom and dad visiting, yeah. But everyday? Usually I'm still just remembering the fun I had prior to the start of a new day. Like right now I think of how fun the summer has been and I dread schoolwork.

Caroline wasn't content to dwell on the things we had done (though she did thank me for having gotten to do those things), she was ready for something new, better. Not that she really had anything in particular on the radar. If nothing else, she was excited to spend some chill time.

I am to be joyful always, because I have something to look forward to... always. 

"I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called yo, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe."                 -Ephesians 1:18-19

No comments: