...it's what learning is all about.
Not knowing it all. Not earning a reputation. Not achieving the best career.
These things could, of course, accompany learning. But they don't always.
Sometimes we only reach average knowledge and end up high school teachers in Little Rock, Arkansas.
Other times you know the right people and end up a political frontrunner.
Still, some rightfully work up the corporate ladder into authority positions.
The thing is, none of these people will get to the point of having consummate authority. Because no one really knows it all. Not even Erlo. If you knew Erlo, that would be funny.
Not knowing it all. Not earning a reputation. Not achieving the best career.
These things could, of course, accompany learning. But they don't always.
Sometimes we only reach average knowledge and end up high school teachers in Little Rock, Arkansas.
Other times you know the right people and end up a political frontrunner.
Still, some rightfully work up the corporate ladder into authority positions.
The thing is, none of these people will get to the point of having consummate authority. Because no one really knows it all. Not even Erlo. If you knew Erlo, that would be funny.
Well-traveled. Well-read. Well-to-do. None of it adds up to total power.
"Education is going from an unconscious to a conscious awareness of one's ignorance."
I think the more you know (not as in NBC's 90's ad campaign), the more you realize how much you don't know. It's why scatter-brained doctors need secretaries. And lawyers, for all of their training, still need farmers. And scientists still need humanitarians. And teachers still need nurses. And children still need parents.
And as much as I will never know, I have a Father who knows all, knows best, knows what I will choose, and promises me wisdom if I seek him in my ignorance.
"Education is going from an unconscious to a conscious awareness of one's ignorance."
I think the more you know (not as in NBC's 90's ad campaign), the more you realize how much you don't know. It's why scatter-brained doctors need secretaries. And lawyers, for all of their training, still need farmers. And scientists still need humanitarians. And teachers still need nurses. And children still need parents.
And as much as I will never know, I have a Father who knows all, knows best, knows what I will choose, and promises me wisdom if I seek him in my ignorance.
As much information as I will gain in college, I will never master Chemistry. I may not be a good cook. Some subjects will remain lost to me and I wont have all the answers. Sometimes this is such a daunting topic. Because it scares me that I will not know enough, that I won't be experienced enough, or perform the best.
Some of this anxiety goes towards making sure I take advantage of the education available to me. Some of it I still allow to keep me nervous. And a good portion of it goes towards an appreciation that I am not expected to do life on my own.
Some of this anxiety goes towards making sure I take advantage of the education available to me. Some of it I still allow to keep me nervous. And a good portion of it goes towards an appreciation that I am not expected to do life on my own.
One of the most practical examples I have of this is in my siblings. Emily is assertive, a decision-maker, organized, and determined. Each of these qualities makes her an excellent medical student (starting today!). My lack of these qualities makes me not so much so. In her areas of expertise, I am a pestilence of ignunce. And I am so grateful to God that we have parents who have presented these differences in a positive light. Neither of us is better. We are complements. Luke's laid back style, his charisma, his judge of character, and his street smarts set him apart from me.
Each of these qualities from both of my siblings have their negative sides- setbacks that I may not have. But they deal with plenty of my weaknesses and I so admire their strengths. Generally when we are on each other's nerves, it can be traced back to differences in personality and we have to remind ourselves of how blessed we are to have each other-- something hard to do as blood gets to boiling.
Still, in these moments it is important to me to appreciate that they do life a different (not worse) way that I can learn from.
Still, in these moments it is important to me to appreciate that they do life a different (not worse) way that I can learn from.
It is important to remain teachable.
In a career, in a sibling relationship, in a relationship with my Creator. Esther is a great example of how to maintain a willingness to learn and a teachable spirit in spite of, or even because of, personal, spiritual, and public success. The heights of her success, ultimately ascension to the throne, came because she didn't let it "go to her head." She let it go to The Head. (Esther 2:10-20)
In a career, in a sibling relationship, in a relationship with my Creator. Esther is a great example of how to maintain a willingness to learn and a teachable spirit in spite of, or even because of, personal, spiritual, and public success. The heights of her success, ultimately ascension to the throne, came because she didn't let it "go to her head." She let it go to The Head. (Esther 2:10-20)
"Just as each of us has one bady with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully." -Romans 12:4-8
No comments:
Post a Comment