Trudy is all the time insisting I "give it to God."
You know when you're upset about something and freaking out about how you're going to make it right or better? That's when she looks at you with a you're only doing this to yourself and making it worse look that says, "just give it to God!"
I can't really think of a day that I haven't seen my mother engage with Christ in some way.
Most days I see her in the sunroom on her red chair searching for something new to learn from the Word. Other times she's less uniform in her approach. We may just see an accident on the highway and say a prayer. We may pass 18020 Cantrell Road and simply utter, "God Bless Saddle Creek." It could just be a blessing before a meal.
Most days I see her in the sunroom on her red chair searching for something new to learn from the Word. Other times she's less uniform in her approach. We may just see an accident on the highway and say a prayer. We may pass 18020 Cantrell Road and simply utter, "God Bless Saddle Creek." It could just be a blessing before a meal.
Then there are the bigger issues.
We'll never be able to pay for life if I stay at home with Luke. Give it to God.
I can barely handle two, but a third child? Give it to God.
A son in the military? Give it to God.
Every December, wrapped in her Dad's scarf, she is embraced by the family he never got to meet. Give it to God.
Life threatening heart scare. Give it to God.
Another good friend taken by cancer. Give it to God.
Empty nest. Give it to God.
Leaving the "comfort" of a church home. Give it to God.
Scrutiny from the IRS. Give it to God.
He is faithful. Mom is one of the greatest examples I have of this, because she is constantly giving it to Him in study and in practice. Without having to, He has proven himself over and over again because my Mom is so willing to give it up.
I try to learn from her wisdom and I am so encouraged to know that she prays everyday for me to learn from His.
As much as I treasure her guidance, I am beginning to feel that there is only so much I can observe before I have to start finding and feeling it for myself. One of the best biblical examples of this transition is Elisha. Elijah was Elisha's mentor, his father for 7 or 8 years before they both journeyed past the Jordan river.
As much as I treasure her guidance, I am beginning to feel that there is only so much I can observe before I have to start finding and feeling it for myself. One of the best biblical examples of this transition is Elisha. Elijah was Elisha's mentor, his father for 7 or 8 years before they both journeyed past the Jordan river.
God parted the waters for Elisha and Elijah to cross over the Jordan river. Elisha asked that a double portion of Elijah's spirit would be on him. When Elijah was taken to heaven, Elisha picked up Elijah's mantle that rested by the bank of the Jordan. He struck the water and inquired, "where is the LORD, the God of Elijah?" The water parted once more for Elisha. Immediately the people proclaimed, "The spirit of Elijah rests on Elisha." (2 Kings 2:1-14)
How is it relevant?
Mom is my Elijah. I know she will be taken from me one day. Sometimes I worry about that day. But I don't obsess. I'm honored for the opportunity of carrying her mantle. My God is just as faithful, loving, and devoted as hers. I see the power of each of these characteristics in her life, and I plead with the Lord, that he would give me a double portion of her spirit.
Like Elijah, she makes herself a soft clay in the Master's hands. Her best work is done, as was Elijah's, "under the shadow of the Almighty" (Psalm 91:1). He had come to a place where he welcomed the opportunity to deny self for the greater display of God's glory. He gave it to God.
Mom is my Elijah. I know she will be taken from me one day. Sometimes I worry about that day. But I don't obsess. I'm honored for the opportunity of carrying her mantle. My God is just as faithful, loving, and devoted as hers. I see the power of each of these characteristics in her life, and I plead with the Lord, that he would give me a double portion of her spirit.
Like Elijah, she makes herself a soft clay in the Master's hands. Her best work is done, as was Elijah's, "under the shadow of the Almighty" (Psalm 91:1). He had come to a place where he welcomed the opportunity to deny self for the greater display of God's glory. He gave it to God.
I'm Elisha. I know the basics, what I'm supposed to do-- how to pray, how to read the Bible, how to quiet myself for time with Him, and how to love.
I'm learning to still myself. To pray. To sacrifice. To give up the dear and precious. To give up the hard stuff and the pleasurable stuff. Because once I really give it to God, the value of prayer will be intensified in my life. All of my sacrifices will go toward an alter at His feet.
A sufficient alter.
Not made by human effort or physical things.
An alter made possible by the grace of Jesus Christ, that allows me to be at His feet.
That allows me to be under the shadow of the Almighty. That allows me to learn for myself what is so desirable about my Mom's and Elijah's lives.
That gives me the strength to carry the mantle on from Jordan once the physical example of a life such as my mom's is taken from my sight.
I'm learning to still myself. To pray. To sacrifice. To give up the dear and precious. To give up the hard stuff and the pleasurable stuff. Because once I really give it to God, the value of prayer will be intensified in my life. All of my sacrifices will go toward an alter at His feet.
A sufficient alter.
Not made by human effort or physical things.
An alter made possible by the grace of Jesus Christ, that allows me to be at His feet.
That allows me to be under the shadow of the Almighty. That allows me to learn for myself what is so desirable about my Mom's and Elijah's lives.
That gives me the strength to carry the mantle on from Jordan once the physical example of a life such as my mom's is taken from my sight.
"Where is the LORD, the God of Elijah?"
Where is the LORD, the God of my Mom?
How I want to know Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment