Dad called me last night to let me know if he dies in the next 30 days, he loves me. Well, he loves me if he doesn't die in the next 30 days, obviously. You get the point. Rock Creek is doing a series on legacy and yesterday's message was about leaving something for and with your kids-- making sure they know they are loved and encouraging them to live a legacy, too. So when I called dad back, that is exactly what he told me-- as spiritually and heartfelt as any person can when 24 is paused in the background and everyone is waiting on you to press the play button.
There's this verse in the Bible that I've known for a good portion of my life. It gets thrown around a lot, but I often forget it because sometimes it's cold outside or so and so is being annoying or my back hurts or it's just early. Everything without complaining or arguing? Yeah, okay. You first. I'll watch.
It's about this point I'm reminded that He did go first. That it is not only possible, it is necessary. And it is a charge I have got to start taking seriously. So that my parents can say they "did not run or labor for nothing." So that I stand out. Because if anyone has a reason to just get over it, it's me. Now there are times when life is tough and there are going to be things that can't just be gotten over-- still, the response is not to complain or to argue. I struggle with it just as much today when Melissa spoke about it at 5-Alive as I did when Mom would recite it in the car or bring it up at family meetings. But I want to be better at it because I am a part of my parents legacy. Sure I have my own to be building, but at every point the way I chose to live reflects directly on my parents. As a child, Mom used to always yell after us "be sweet, mind your manners, remember whose you are!" Just about any time we were about to part for a good length of time, she'd bring out that line. The "remember whose you are" refers first and foremost to the fact that I am a child of Christ and have a responsibility to represent Him well. Secondly, I am a Smith. What I do is as a member of a family. They will love me unconditionally, no matter what I do, but the choices I make do impact the unit. And I have a responsibility to represent them well. I imagine my parents saying what Paul writes in Philippians 2:12-13:
"Therefore, my dear [daughter], as you have always obeyed-- not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence-- continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose."
I'm not in and out of the house as often for my mom to yell her schpeel after me. But in the absence of my parents, I continue to work out my salvation. Not only because I am a part of their legacy, but because I have my own to build. And because while my parents want all good things for me and often know what those things are, it is ultimately God who works in me to will and to act according to his good purpose. He makes whatever difference there is in me. And He makes this possible:
"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life-- in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing." (Philippians 2:14-16)
1 comment:
why is it that your posts bring me to tears more often that not right now??
let's just say that you are creating a legacy. your legacy with me, especially. i look up to you so much in your words of wisdom and encouragement! i love you!
:)
katie
Post a Comment