Friday, June 5, 2009

I am second. Promise.



I'm reading a book right now by Josh Hamilton entitled "Beyond Belief: Finding the Strength to Come Back." When my grandmother started raving about his story-- this tattooed baseball player was so sinful and then found Jesus and is so repentant-- I have to admit I felt like she was exaggerating, flipping about some tattoos, and that this was just another "thank you, God, for my 2 million dollars a year contract, you are so amazing" story.

I just do not enjoy those type of athletes, and I rolled my eyes, (not actually, because I am not trying to get killed) thinking I really didn't find some tattoos all that sinful.

And then I read the story and was once again reminded that He is so amazing.

So, it turns out, God once again used someone else-- in this case another complete stranger-- to teach me a little more. I am coming to find that I can't really teach myself as much as I would like to believe, and often act like, I can.


Not second to Josh Hamilton, though his story does kind of kick my story's butt. God repeatedly uses the lives of other people to show me exactly how much I just wont ever know. At the same time revealing just how much He has done in other people, and how much He desires to use me, too. As readily as I will admit that I am not as strong, or as talented, or as experienced as Josh Hamilton, as quickly as I will say my story seems secondary to his-- that is just the beginning of how yielding I should be to God and the will He is working in me and in those around me.

Turns out Josh really was buried in sin. Crazy thing, so am I.

It is to say that if He can work in Josh, he can work in me. It is also to say that if He can use Josh, he can use whoever I might deem the worst of sinners. And that any one of them deserves to be considered before me. Maybe not because they deserve it (because sometimes wouldn't I just love to give them what I think they really deserve?), more like because I certainly don't. More importantly because God certainly does. Deserve to be considered before me, that is. When I say it like that, it sounds like a no-brainer. But then I go out on my merry way making fun of that person, staring a little longer than I should at that person, sighing under my breath at that customer. You know, essentially finding all these people who I'm better than. I swear (except I usually don't) it's not a conscious thing most times. But it's there. And it is a way of making me feel better. Even though, I'm pretty sure I just established, I'm second.

If I were truly humbled towards God, wouldn't humility towards others come easier?

I'm certain it would. Mainly because Jesus didn't die harder for me (Bruce Willis did). He didn't stay on the cross a little overtime for me. Oh sure, I believe He considered me as His blood spilled. But no more highly than the next person. No more highly than Josh Hamilton.

So if I'm second to Him, I'm second to every other person He claimed long before there was little me. And that is, let's see. Oh yes, everyone. Regardless of life choices or inherited characteristics.

I just thought I'd give myself a reminder.

And give you Josh Hamilton's story.

Brought to you (in part) by the Rangers. Don't say they never did nothin'.


In his book, Josh says he repeatedly recited this verse to resist urges. Urges he tried and failed to stop a dozen times during his addiction. As it so happens, humility works.

"But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: 'God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.' Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." -James 4:6-7

No comments: