Sunday, October 11, 2009

Worth the Wait

So I drove 320 miles (or roughly 5 hours) to Mt. Airy, North Carolina this weekend.

You know, for 24 hours.

Because they are just worth it.

DSC_0421

I mean, it's almost even worth the drive for the drive.

DSC_0347_2

But 'cept you get there and realize that no, no this is what makes the drive worth it.

DSC_0376

For years we prayed and prayed for one baby.

DSC_0372_2

Consider those prayers answered.

DSC_0356

In ways far greater than we could have imagined.

DSC_0354

And we even imagined it pretty great.

DSC_0359

As Yvette sat little 8th grade me down and casually, yet sincerely told me to never change, I fervently prayed that her life would-- that God would give her a baby. 


DSC_0363

The answer for a long time was "no."

Why? I can't even know. Sometimes that's just God's answer. It is an answer. Frustrating and hurtful and painful as it may be, it is an answer. The Townsends are a good example of that for me.

But they are also an example of when "no" is not the final answer.

DSC_0362

The woman whose tears poured on Mother's day, whose arms ached of emptiness, now celebrates with three children (with never enough arms).

DSC_0375

DSC_0390

DSC_0396

And they were worth the wait.

DSC_0419

Could it be that this same principle might apply to other situations in life?

God, I need a job. No.
God, I need a car. No.
God, I need a spouse. No.
God, I need my health. No.

What then? How frustrating are these answers?

But aren't they answers? And isn't there a good chance that they are for now...

If this is what lay ahead of the blood, sweat and tears of Laurence and Yvette's pleading with the Lord, what answers await us? Will it always be "no?"

Possibly.

But maybe, just maybe, there is a "yes" ahead.

DSC_0477

Either way, in Jesus we have hope. It may not be in the bright faces of three blue eyed children, but ultimately there is hope. In Karthia we've been studying Hebrews and this past week we talked about having the gift of working on God's timeline. Not the fragile span of time we live on this Earth.

So I don't get what I want. Do I have what I need? Wish I acted like it all the time. Because there is something so sweet about receiving what you want after you've learned what you really need.

"But Christ is faithful as a son over God's house. And we are his house, if we hold on to our courage and the hope of which we boast" (Hebrews 3:6).

DSC_0434


DSC_0483

That sweetness?

DSC_0496

It is worth holding out hope for.

DSC_0508

And that hope?

DSC_0487

Could be realized on my timeline...

DSC_0407

...or on God's.

DSC_0416_2

Or?

DSC_0449

Both.

DSC_0458

But that hope will be realized.

DSC_0519

And it will be worth the wait.

DSC_0504

DSC_0500
DSC_0513
DSC_0515
DSC_0491
DSC_0452
DSC_0494
DSC_0380
DSC_0373
DSC_0526

4 comments:

katie said...

WOW!! they're so big!! i remember a baby version of that little boy at your graduation!!! crazy stuff!!

missing you like crazy!
katie

Sheryl said...

this line "There is something so sweet about getting what you want after you've gone through the process of finding out exactly what you need"...A-MAZING!!

i believe you will see that in a future post of mine.

thanks for sharing the pictures and your beautiful words!! loved the pic of you jumping rope.

nancygrayce said...

Wow! I came over from Sheryl's place and your post just gave me all the right words today! We Christians often BOAST of that hope while not clinging to it at the same time. Thanks!

~*Michelle*~ said...

beautiful.

You've captured a million words with those photos....and in a few short words gave a sermon/lesson of a lifetime.

peace~
*~Michelle~*