Monday, August 31, 2009

Enough Is As Good As Plenty


I dropped a class last week. It's probably a good class; informative and what not.

But the disappeal lies in that it set out to teach me everything wrong in the world.

And basically how powerless I am to fix it.

Which basically, I am. Powerless.

I already get that. No lectures required.

And I was already making up words that sound smart to try and match the intellectualness of that class.
Disappeal is not a word, folks.

I'm about being informed and educated. Grateful, even, for the chance.
I just don't want to write six pages a week on paternalism and white supremism
and why it is irrational to trust in the metaphysical to bring about human justice.

For that matter, I don't want justice on human terms. Not merely on human terms.
After all, to Hitler, the purification of the arian race was just.

I don't think my interpretation of justice would be quite so skewed,
but the fact remains that I am powerless to bring justice to every evil in this world.
It doesn't mean I wont fight for it where I see a chance.

It does mean, contrary to Dr. Vasey's opinion, that I have every reason to trust
in the "metaphysical."
But I won't call God by that name,
a name that implies I am somehow able to fathom where He fits in and how He's working.

I was reading a play last night
(correction: writing a paper on a play. In august. An August paper. Let me hear you say "that ain't right")
in which a man was offered more food at a breakfast and told there was plenty.
His response was, "to me, enough is as good as plenty."

There is plenty wrong on this Earth.
To me it's enough to know that there is a plan.
Does that mean I worship a God of convenience?

Does it look convenient for the woman in this video to hold out hope?
For any of the people in the video to hold out hope?

How about for this woman? Or this one? Or this family?

Not easy. But enough. I don't need the plenty of reasons to not believe in God
when I know full well that He is enough.
I also know enough about the world to believe that He is plenty.

And finally, knowing that He is enough is as good as plenty for me.

It's also enough to the 4 and 5 year olds that I teach on Sunday morning.
This week I learned that they have a tradition.
I had the honor to be a part of it for the first time.
The Fear Box.

We take slips of paper, big enough to crumple up, and write one thing we're afraid of.
For some it's ghosts.
Others legitimately say something about family dying,
others fear falling and getting hurt.
After it's written they crumple theirs up and, one by one, place it in the box.

As they do they recite,

"I can trust God to do all things."

My fear was not doing well in school and being a bad friend.

I can trust God to do all things.

But don't worry, He's got the ghosts taken care of, too.
In case that was yours.

Then I found that I wasn't the only one with such a fear.

The psalmist wrote the same thing.

"Take away the disgrace I dread, for you laws are good" (Psalm 119:39).


No comments: