Bike strapped on and all, a couple of Smiths trekked across the U.S. to a land I'll call "far, far away." Except for that I also call it home. And once again, it is becoming just that. It's mostly the people that make it such. But my camera died before I could get good pictures of them. Once again, I start the year with minimal pictures. Shame. I do have a few photos, though. Brace yourself, because it occurs to me that my "few" is another persons "lot."
This is my door. I know, exhilarating post. But the picture reminded me of a time when I was up against more work than I'd ever known, as I will probably be this semester. Funny how we grow like that. But I handled it then, I'll handle it now. Well, not just me.
Also, good luck getting in that door with its THREE locks. Seriously, wish me luck.
I had each of those puppies in use when I spent 24 hours in the apt. alone. Not that I was really worried. And not that I really felt lonely. It was such a good time of preparation. I got my clothes organized. Say what? Organized? You heard it. By color. Credit to the shoe system goes to mom, though.
I filled my bookshelf in typical History major fashion.
I made dinner in my kitchen. And then I made smoothies and a stupid picture of me and said smoothie.

Clearly it was time for some people time. Good thing Noelle called me up and said "come to Naptown!" So I did. In my (potentially not-so-) trusty car.
Once in the car I realized my phone was on low battery. So I wrote the directions on my hand. Just in case.
Never mind that the directions took the most roundabout way.
I just kept going.
and going.
and going.
I did get to see D.C.
Kind of.
Then there was crazy traffic. And then, after it took me 2 1/2 hours when it should have been 1 hour and 15 minutes (you know, had I done my research), I reached the home of the Modly's. And had dinner with the Ulmans. All four and a half of them.
We got awesome balloon art. I decided that I will go to balloon art school and make national landmarks for a living.
Then we watched (fell asleep to) "I love you, man." The next day I made pancakes with Dorian and walked around beautiful annapolis. Before I knew it, it was time to go move my roommate in. At 2 p.m. So I left around 1 p.m., a tad late after lunch. Big deal. It will just take 1 hour and 15 minutes this time, when I go the right way. Rookie mistake.
And I desperately needed to pee. But I couldn't because I was afraid to take an exit for fear that it make take me far away from my route. My fears were confirmed when I took the quantico exit and met a very serious guard who asked for my military I.D. The nonexistent one. Becasue of my run in with not-s0-rent-a-cop I decided not to use the port-a-potty I had spied on a construction site right outside of the base. That and I was late already.
Two and a half hours late. How's that for a first impression?
All's well that ends well, though. Because I got to pee.
Oh, and I got a roommate. So that was pretty cool (unlike the temperature).
And apparently there were no hard feelings because the next morning she made me pancakes. And didn't yell when I burnt two of them.
We set the table for Sunday morning breakfast before our apartmentmates arrived.
We're official like that.
Then monday happened and thus ensued academia and schedules and assignments and reading. Which brings me to now. What I should be doing now. I decided after a round of errands, which included eight stops, to stop by caribou coffee. I had every intention of getting some work done and organizing my planner and folders. But I felt I should take advantage of the opportunity to do some recap and introspection before I get far behind.
With just 3 days of school behind me, I haven't quite found the groove. Syllabus days are always the most overwhelming because it feels like all of the things outlined in front of you are due next week. They're not. I have to tell myself that. Apparently my self is pretty convincing because here I am not working. Well, not working on school.
I feel like I better understand what it is to purposefully not be working on school and it be okay. How to be careless for a while when all the cares in the world are around me. Because God cares about it all. He says it's not all about school. Or friends. Or family. It's all about Him. And He's got the rest, if I'm willing to put some work in.
Even still, He's got the rest.
After all, the joy in a two hour long bike ride with my Rooms (and for a little while, my extrooms) was not my doing.
The peace in a house of conflict was not my doing.
The deepening relationship with new(ish) friends is not my doing.
The BCM is not my doing.
The ability to learn at Mary Washington and knowledge itself is not my doing.
"For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you... Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality."
-Romans 12:3, 9-13
And as long as He is doing, I'm to do my thing cheerfully.
8 a.m.s or no 8 a.m.s
Papers or no papers.
Stress or no stress.
Arkansas or no Arkansas.
No comments:
Post a Comment