Thursday, December 4, 2008

Use Your Words


Emily used this phrase a lot when she spent a summer working at a special needs school. The teachers are trained to teach the kids "use their words" instead of pointing, grunting or whining. So when a child comes up to them holds their arms up and moans, they say "use your words." And the child has to say "I want you to hold me" before the teacher obliges. They use this practice so that the children grow. So that they do not get lazy with their communication skills. It is so that they learn to express themselves in a way that will best incite a response, not just come across demanding, angry or displeased. 

I think of God as one of these teachers. And I'm one of those kids. I point at a problem and say "uuhh." I get just in a bad mood and come up to Him. ... . Just keep standing there. I just keep going about life, getting displeased here and there. It pens itself up and in moments where it's quiet or I just can't start work yet and I have a moment where I'm sitting still. I don't talk to Him. I think of what I need to do. I think it. But I don't pray for it. 

And He's like "Use your words!" To me it seems obvious. I want to not be anxious. I want to have a good grade. I want to know how to be a good friend and servant. And He knows it already, too. So what's the big deal in sidestepping the prayer? Sometimes I really just can't articulate how I feel or what I want. And He will still listen to me then. But even then I have to ask for Him to at least come. And I still have to humble myself. Which, let's be honest, generally if I'm just in a quiet moment before I start work I'm thinking about all I have to do, what it implies for me, how I will get best use out of this time. It's not the humble quietness of a person who doesn't know how to articulate a request. Its the the stubborn quietness of a college student who just wont. 

He wants to hear them. He demands it of us. Because when we speak it or write it, we grow. We stay on top of the communication. We express ourselves to incite a response. So that we aren't just like children standing and expecting. It's for our own good. He promises it. 

 Mark 10:46-52

"Now they came to Jericho. As He went out of Jericho with His disciples and a great multitude, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the road begging. And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" Then many warned him to be quiet; but he cried out all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!" So Jesus stood still and commanded him to be called. Then they called the blind man, saying to him "Be of good cheer. Rise, He is calling you." And throwing aside his garment, he rose and came to Jesus. So Jesus answered and said to him, "What do you want Me to do for you?" The blind man said to Him, "Rabboni, that I may receive my sight." Then Jesus said to him, "Go your way; your faith has made you well." And immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus on the road."

I shouldn't just say the words to say a prayer. It has to be with the belief that He has the power to do it. Which is why it has to be in humility. Not "hey give me a hand." Apparently, it's not all about me. Please hear the sarcasm there. 

Be of good cheer. Rise, He is calling you. Use your words. 

No comments: