Wednesday, December 10, 2008

We interrupt this program for some happy


what program? Oh, just my 299 presentation preparation. Preparedness is overrated, I always say. Actually, I don't-- as recorded in last night's (er, this morning's) post. Still, it is just time for a break. And I have a choice about how I will spend this time out. I could take a nap, but what's the point at this point? I could play some spider solitaire, but let's be honest I haven't legally won a round of that in some time (don't act like you don't undo when you get a card you don't want). I could busy myself on facebook, a social black hole. I could stress even though I'm supposed to be taking a break. I could go find someone to watch tv and hang with. Or I could take some time to really love my friends this Christmas. 

On Saturday night the Chiclets got upset that I was getting stuff for gifts because apparently we made a pact against gifts this year (I honestly had no clue about this). It dawned on me that handing them the presents I'm about to go make isn't going to speak the love I want it to because it might be received as my being high and mighty. That somehow I think I'm better and have the right to break the pact. That I think so highly of myself that I have to go above and beyond. 

They don't want gifts. They don't want me to spend my money. They don't want to keep score. To these arguments I say three things:

1. it is not a gift, it is a happy,
2. all of the stuff is from the dollar section, don't be too flattered,
3. it is not from me, I am under the orders of Trudy Smith.

Mainly I want to be clear, I'm not making these gifts (er, happies) to get ahead. I don't expect anything back. I don't want anything back. The very reason I'm making the happies is because each of these precious friends has already given me so much. I want each one to feel appreciated and loved. And I know the happy by itself will not accomplish this. It has to be out of a heart and demeanor of gratitude. It is easy to love on a friend, giving physical gifts or hugs or conversation. Often I miss out on the flip side of that-- being grateful for them, thanking God for them when I am outside of their presence. Paul didn't say I thank my God every time I see you. Or every time you do something for me. Or every time we have lunch. Every time he remembers. 

So here I go to make some happies. Being purposeful about reflecting why I love each girl so dearly. Mom refers to them collectively as the Chiclets, acknowledging the fact that each one has a unique role in my life and in the lives of others. Each has different strengths and weaknesses. Each has other friends that they are so important to. Each has a family that loves them. We have lives outside of each other, but life would be so different if even just one fell out of line. The term is purposefully vague, allowing for the free entrance of others. "Chiclets" can be the girls on this hall, it could include the sisters, it could be any girl from the BCM, or any other friend from campus. Traditionally, the ones with a disney princess association are the chiclets that come to mind. But we aren't trying to be exclusive with the term. I'm truly very sorry if it has come across that way. 

Ladies, all of you, I love you. And I am so blessed to have you. The world is so blessed to have each of you (unless you take a Thomas Malthus approach to life, which says there are too many people on the earth and not enough production to keep up-- but that's just econ. talking). I am indebted to you for the way you love me back. I thank you for all that you do outside of what I may see or acknowledge. For the way you selflessly serve others and diligently work on your own workload.

 There is so much that each of you do without recognition or expectation of anything in return. So much that I may never know about. But when I consider the things I do know about you all, I am humbled and joyful for knowing you. Keep on keepin' on this exam season. Happy Christmas!

okay, well this is not happy. But I felt it my civic responsibility to keep this picture circulating. If you see this guy, call the cops. But call me first so we can split the reward ;) Thank you Big D for this and all of your other wonderful photos (and Ashley for being a great photographer in general... can't leave that out).

No comments: