He mocks proud mockers
but gives grace to the humble.
-Proverbs 3:34
I have got to get a grip on this. Comparing myself to others to find worth is just not worth it. Not worth the pride and temporary ego boost if I consider myself to come out on top; not worth the self-defeat and worthlessness that results from finding myself sub-par. Either way it is so totally ungraceful. And grace is something I'm in great need of. I'm not always aware of it. But God, here I am, back in the market. Because it is exhausting to be so unfulfilled--unfulfilled when I meet people's standards and unfulfilling when I don't. Chuck Swindoll says I can anticipate four things as I get a firmer grasp on grace:
1. To gain a greater appreciation for God's gifts to you and others
2. To spend less time and energy critical of and concerned about others' choices
3. To be more tolerant and less judgmental
4. To take a giant step toward maturity
... wouldn't it be nice?
No comments:
Post a Comment