Thursday, April 16, 2009

Oh, the Places You'll Go


First of all, because the title reminds me, don't you forget about the go-girl. I'm certain it would change your life. Because it maximizes the places you can go.


Anyway, today, as opposed to yesterday's rainy-ness, started out beautiful. Like the kind of day when the first thing you see are some particles drifting all up in the golden rays streaming through your window. The kind of day when you're like "okay, I'll get up simply because I want to go feel this day." Because if it looks like it does, it has got to feel amazing. 

Joke was on me. Don't get me wrong, it has been beautiful! Matter of a fact, the combination of breeze and sunlight felt just as wonderful as I imagined. I just got to feel it a little more than I expected to. See, when I got up I checked my facebook and had an invitation to the event "One Day Without Shoes." If you know me and you know my stomping ground (I'm going to have to research where that saying comes from...), you know I was for it before I even went any further. Because sans footwear is how I roll. The fact that I am from Arkansas is merely a correlation, not necessarily a causation. I'm not here to encourage stereotypes.

So then I clicked the link and found out that it is for a cause (not merely because people envy the "never wears shoes" stereotype). Basically it's for the purpose of awareness and solidarity. And so that I have an excuse to buy some Toms. And so I can promote Toms again without coming across as obsessive. What's that? I do sound obsessive. Eh, go buy some Toms. Toms. Toms. Toms. 

Good news, though. It's not just one big advertising campaign-- these people really care. And more than anything they want us to care, too. Whether or not I buy a pair of Toms (I don't own any yet), there is a message here. And it is quite literally a way to go. A challenge to do. A way to care. 


 
and if that's not reason enough, Hanson's doing it. So...



Here's what I've learned so far:

--I am so grateful that our college campus is bricked.


--There are many shortcuts I take with shoes that can get quite messy without shoes.

--I have never hoped the liquid on the bathroom floor is water more than I have today.


--People don't know what to do with the fact that you aren't wearing shoes... especially in the cafeteria.


--The most typical reaction, besides stares, is "do you know how many diseases you can pick up from being barefoot?" It makes me think, why is it okay that those thousands of people are dying from such diseases, but so offensive that for one day this one person is taking the very small chance of getting something that, worst case scenario, would have to be treated by relatively accessible medical care. My response is "do you know how many diseases people have already picked up by going barefoot?" And then I ask myself seriously, "what are you doing about it, Sadie?"

--Getting out the door is much faster when I don't have to dig under this to find some footwear.


--You do a lot more looking down at where you're stepping when you don't have shoes on. 


--That gorgeous day that I wanted to feel, that beautiful green grass, feels so good between my toes.


--I really should have known about this cause before 15 minutes 'til class because then I could have painted my toes (*edit* i painted my toes!) and put some lotion on these dry legs. The whiteness just can't be helped. 

No comments: