Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Commonwealth


A lot. A lot on my mind. A lot on my plate. A lot to pray for. A lot to praise for.

Amidst a heap of assignments and academic deadlines, one weekend provided a wealth of perspective and added to the abundance of stuff going on in this little life. But praise God, while the insight adds to the amount of information that is currently testing the limits of my brain capacity, with that stretch comes true abundance in everything else I'm to do in the days ahead. It's not perspective despite the trivial-ness, it's perspective all up in the trivial-ness. I'm not here to claim I get all of it, nor that I comprehend exactly what means to give it all up, that every ounce would return to me blessed in order to add to my abundance and to His glory. All I know is that what little I surrendered this weekend has come back to me covered in His fingerprints. And I want to know more of that glory. From that I want to know more of the joy. And from the joy, I want to be a more humble, more applicable person. Not just to the people who already surround me (though I do so thoroughly enjoy their company), but to the people who might believe in Christ if they knew a Christian before they were smacked upside the head with Christianity. Because if they knew a Christian, they would know mercy, not judgement. If they knew a Christian they would know hospitality, not exclusiveness. They would know humility, not arrogance. They would know Christ, not Sadie.

That's a lot. But it starts so close. It's not out there. It's not a far off possibility, it is a right here right now necessity if I'm going to start loving people the way I don't deserve to be loved. Opportunities are all around me. Wendell Berry's Agrarian Argument challenges people to look at the world with the pace our own feet are capable of taking us. Not what we could do if... If I had a car. If I had more money. If I were ______ like _______. Not to solve hunger. At least not all of it. In Fredericksburg, sure. It's all about not being defeated by what we feel like we can't help and find places where we can. And there is a lot I can do. That is, if I wanted to. That desire starts with knowing more and more, bit by bit, the glory and the able-ness of God. Because the more I get to know Him, the more Jesus whispers "Trust me, you want to."

I went to a small group session this weekend on hospitality. Taught by a man named Evan Hansen, the idea is that the value of hospitality has been made far too small and has been given far too little credit. It is a systematic theology that so does not come across that way on the upfront. It is the most nonthreatening way of getting across to people-- where nonthreatening should not be confused with noneffective. What is meant by "getting across to people?" Is it to make them Christians? Is it to get them to repent? Is it to convict or judge? Is it to like them? At different points, it may become about these things. But first and foremost, love is what we're supposed to be getting across. Finding people I like is not enough. It's about welcoming people into a relationship. Not a few friendly hello's. Not meeting up for group work. And maybe not the traditional come on in I'll make you some dinner. Relationships are not always convenient-- that's the essence of hospitality. Doing something despite what I've got going on. No matter how it may put me out. It's about setting another plate even if I have to ration my own portion. Hospitality sounds weak, but that investment is powerful to the recipient. It has been so powerful to me. It's hospitality that says "come in the back door" or "call anytime." It's hospitality that means it when I say that. It is a community between two people, hospitality. And it has to exist before that community is to grow.

Our main speaker, Ryan Coatley spoke out of Colossians 1. His main point was to show us the bridge that is Christ over time. Connecting the Old and the New Testament. 1:17 says, "He is before all things, and in him all things are held together." So Coat traced it out for us. He started with saying that we are not made in God's image. We are made as His image. In implies that we are there, that we are the picture. Conversely, as implies that we have the capacity to reflect his image. As means we're more of a motion picture where, if we're seeking His image, a screenshot should be an accurate representation of Him. There's a lot more responsibility with as. Because it means we are representatives of God, not His representation. We aren't there yet. In the New Testament, Paul speaks to the same responsibility, calling Christians ambassadors of Christ. Not that we automatically represent Him well-- it is an active job that we have to think about. Here is Coat's outline of events:

Creation (able to sin, able not to sin-- fyi, we sinned)... Fall (not able to not sin)... Redemption (able to sin, able not to sin-- fyi, I still choose sin a lot)... Consummation (not able to sin).

Here, on Earth, we can only get to redemption. And He will redeem it. I don't know when I can't even know how. But I can begin to know the glory that makes redemption possible. That made Redemption possible. It's exciting stuff, no? It's the stuff of joy. And the power behind it manifests itself in and is spread by a weak little old tactic called hospitality. The gospel is big and it's a lot and it is worth sharing. But there is something called coming on a little too strong. And too strong, at least for me, is a euphemism for judgmental. Still, I've got to be challenging myself to the kind of love expressed in acts of hospitality. We've got a whole generation who needs to be challenged by it, as well. Shane Claiborne says "If the Christian church loses this generation, it will be not because we didn't entertain them, but because we didn't dare them... didn't actually challenge them to think about how they live."

I love the line in Amazing Grace, "'twas grace that taught my heart to fear, and by grace my fears relieved." How to think about how I'm living? It's about fearing my imperfection. But it's relief in knowing that Grace is for me. And it's also for the people who make my blood boil. It's for the people who get hard to live around over an extended period of time. It's not just for me. But if it had been just me, He would still have taken on the Cross. And He would still love me. Same goes for the homeless man at the stop light. Same goes for the drunken college student. Same goes for the grieving mother. Same goes for the businessman living in a mansion in the rolling Virginia hills. But before I go off preaching the gospel to any one of them, I've got to preach the gospel to myself. And, as you know, that is a lot.

"If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, 'Love your neighbor as yourself,' you are doing right. But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. For he who said, 'Do not commit adultery,' also said, 'Do not murder.' If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, yo have become a law breaker. Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgement without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!" -James 2:8-12

There is so much more. Like how the title is even applicable. But it is quite time for me to quit talking and kneel. To begin to know the glory... there is, after all, a lot to know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I tried for a decent bed time. But then I remembered the two hour long nap I took when I got home today as well as the hour I slept in the car. So, where was I?

I called home Saturday from our lodge at EagleEyrie. Rhonda talked to me when I woke up from my nap and asked how I would feel about being UMW BCM's representative on the student council of the Virginia Baptist Mission Board. I told her I didn't have a car. Asked how compatible this position would be with my having a job. If I would be required to give up some school breaks, etc. And then there was this moment of like, just quit making excuses. This is it! This is the answer to the prayer you've made ever since I told you to step away from the LT application.

I've felt burdened ever since I decided not take an official role on the Leadership Team. Not because I feel like I should have done it, but because I so want to find a way to be involved in a meaningful way outside of a formal leadership position. The LT selection committee was an answer to that prayer at first, but I still wanted a more permanent service venue. It took a minute for it to sink in yesterday but then it was like "slap!" Here you go. 'Preciate you, God! If I keep making all of these same old excuses, how in the world do I expect Him to use me? And what nerve I have to keep asking Him as I turn down the answers. I am thrilled to take the position. Basically I will be planning Axis and LTC next year with a group of about 6 others. Yes, plan. What is He thinking? All I know is I can't wait to get started! We met as a group for the first time this morning and over breakfast asked that God bless our efforts even now as we start churning out some ideas about speakers, music, themes, breakout sessions, etc. So it was an answer to the overarching how I could serve next year question. But it was also specific to the day. You see, I come here and I debrief about my weekend, everything I learned that was meaningful and useful and like I've got it all down. I don't. And can we be for real? I was fo sho falling asleep Saturday morning during worship. There was just this frustrating, tired disconnect that I couldn't get out of. And I hated the idea of standing there singing songs back to a praise band (the UMW BCM's band, no less!). I truly wanted to get something out of the worship experience-- not for myself, but for the sake of a reciprocal, deepening relationship. And I told God that He was going to have to show me some glory that I could sit and specifically thank Him for. Be in awe of Him for. Worship Him for. And He said, later that day, "how bout a council position?" Okay! I earnestly desire that He continue to grant my request of Him to find small ways to reveal His glory. Because while my mind knows that He's a pretty big deal and has stuff under control and all that, there's so
mething so nice and motivating about having something specific in my heart to really be glad about so that my requests can be presented in a so much more personal way.
----------------------------------------------------

Congrats if you've made it this far, because I put myself to sleep writing last night. Needed the rest I suppose, seeing as how Saturday night I stayed up until 3 stuffing phone booths with people and going door to door gathering offering pledges of other ministries should we find someone to swallow a live goldfish. You know, the usual camp stuff.

Now it's Monday night and I already miss it.

Where else can you go to find out that there is an entire illustrative website of the Bible made of legos?

Or learn about these crazy cool shoes that are always on buy one, give one sale?

I know, right?

(Friends quote for Jill: "I could use all of these things!" -The One Where Ross is Fine)

In addition to getting in the know about all products cool, you get to know fantastically gifted, crazy cool people.


Take Cole here, for example. Charmingly cheery, un-choosy, crafty, chatty, contagious, charismatic, call-him-clumsy but contently comedic Cole. Here he gives you the cleavage pose, which looks just about as natural on him as it does the models who seriously try to sell you something in this contorted position.


Like Beth here. Beautifully blue-eyed, blissfully blunt, believably bold, bouncy, bountiful, brave, brilliant, bouncy, bisexual (how'd that get in here, i'm going overboard with the b's, no?)... basically Beth... Babcock.


Ah, Lisa. Lovely, loyal, lively Lisa. The least legal lady I am lucky know. Lavishly less than lazy, she is sometimes a little late, but lately less so. Neither loud nor luxurious, she lives for her Lord, and insomuch is loved at length.


Linked to Lisa by the letter of their label, L, Liz is quite liberal with her laughter. She lives late into to lightless night to lopsidedly love with mischief. Last to linger on self, Liz has long since been luring locals to the Lamb.

Just Jen. Jovial, rarely jumbled mostly joyful, juxstaposed in James Joyce (she is an English major, it's major to note). I'm jealous of her juicy jams (speaking of jam she hates peanut butter), unjaded in her journey to offer her jagged junk to Jehovah. Jolly and jubilant, she'll call your junk bunk. Also, she enjoys a justified jinx. Just... Jen.


Carefully careless, Claire contributes to college her clownishly childish, crazily cute candor adding color and cuddles and competitive flair. Makes her co-inhabitant feel crummy by keeping their chamber cold, but casually chills us with her classic cool.

Titus. Katie Titus. It's tricky to tap into all the traits of this teeny twenty year old tot. She tactfully teases with her talk of terrifying tricks, but is truly talented, tasteful, and tirelessly in thought. We're trusting this tremendously tangy Titus with the things of our troops, but she is thankfully tight with terrific Truth.


Mary Ellen. Fresh meat. Maybe you're not mindful much of this magically magnetic, magnificent maverick, you must allow me to remark on the marvelous matchlessness of our mini-mustached merry member. Made memorable by her merciful maturity she is markedly mindful of man and misfortune, maintaining a minimalist, mighty metabolism (the only m out there synonymous with "life" do NOT judge me). The mere mention of Mary Ellen molds a mood to reflect the modest, musing manner of this meddlesome mademoiselle.


Robert. Random running razzle-dazzle Robert. Ready to write ...

Mustang Sally.


Eh, you know her. (kidding, will do her later. and by "do her", I mean describe her)

Before I leave for the night (a second time) I will explain the title here. Not as well as I probably could have back at 10:15 when I started this segment of this post. Oh my. Also, I feel pressed by the presence of the impossibly-paced popular primetime presentation of 24, patiently positioned on my program-holding device, which I will partake of with Peterso from Pennsylvania. I will forever think in alliteration thanks to this post. Just Joking. Oh, shoot.

Title! So when I was talking to mom on Saturday, I told her that Kentucky, in addition to Virginia, is considered a "commonwealth." She informed me that it was probably "because of all the horses." Since horses are an obvious indicator of sophistication, you know? (I personally didn't see the connection). I told her that I still feel so honored to be living it up here in this commonwealth (sophisticated by its tobacco economy) to which she responded,

"Sadie Smith, there is nothing common about you... of course, there's nothing wealthy either."

Respectfully, Mom, I must disagree...

No comments: