Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Tradition

Traditionally they say (and by now I know you are familiar with them) it is better to give than receive.

IMG_0357

Before this Christmas I believed that to be the case. In fact, I was thrilled at the thought of what I would be giving this year. Mainly because each gift I gave was a blessing to me first. Perhaps that's selfish. But I really felt like it was God saying "you want to give? Let me help you give bigger." I know this was just about a few presents, but it felt a small fraction of an example of what He can do with a giving, willing spirit. I didn't know I would find the dvd's I gave Dad, but watching with him will be a standout experience from this break. Part of his gift was literally handed to me. Mom's was a hodge podge of things she casually mentioned she wanted here and there that ended up on sale so I could accumulate a bunch of little things an give more.

DSC_0189

Stephanie's scrapbook was a chance to spend time with cherished memories of her wedding to Luke and the fun we had. That was one of those times when I feel so grateful for my camera-- a gift I never expected or even knew was within the realm of possibility.

And with Emily's? Well I felt like I had a gift long before I ever handed it over. And no, not just because I am living this gift vicariously through her. I was simply going for a gift certificate for some public skating time at our rink. I came out with the amazing opportunity to get her lessons and free public rink time and a pair of skates. So, with Mom and Dad's help, that's just what we did.

DSC_0201

It doesn't sound like a lot, but you have to understand (as we have come to find out), you are like a superstar when you become enrolled in classes at the Arkansas Skatium! It's fun exercise and quality time and a chance to learn a new skill and have someone to geek out with about the olympics (and what Kurt Browning taught me on youtube ;)). It was just so exciting to pick out and research and give to Emily. And also to use with her. Not once or twice or even three times but so far four. Don't judge us. And shout out to Gillian for making it possible for me to join in on the fun at the rink by gifting me with skates.

Needless to say, I was so ready to give this to her come Christmas. I had no reason to believe the age old sentiment in "giving is better than getting" would be challenged. But then I got this from Luke and Stephanie...

DSC_0186

Well, technically Mom and Dad got it. But I like to think of it as a gift, all the same.

DSC_0187

Stephanie's family has a tradition. They've added a baby to the family every year since 2007. I've found this tradition quite enjoyable since it has introduced us all to the likes of Hudson (circa 2007)

DSC_0509

DSC_1034

DSC_0015

Kinley (circa 2008)

DSC_0934

DSC_0994

IMG_0303

and Addie (circa 2009).

DSC_0576

DSC_1548

DSC_0050

But said tradition has not ever seemed sweeter than it does going into 2010. Because Morrow tradition is becoming a Smith first. And by "becoming" I mean growing inside of Stephanie right now.

DSC_0589

Cue trips to maternity sections and babies 'r us. Tutu has commenced to readying this baby's room and wardrobe. And many a name for Dad's grandfather title have been passed around. Our tireless efforts to find the perfect moniker have not yet paid off, leading Dad to exasperatedly proclaim to my Mom, "you're so lucky you've had a grandma name forever."

What he means is that Mom has been "Tutu" to nieces and nephews and close family friends for 32 years now. But now she's really Tutu. Her niece began calling her this because she couldn't say Trudy. Only by coincidence (or maybe because God knows her too well) does Tutu also mean grandmother in Hawaiian native tongue.

So the Morrow tradition continues, Mom remains Tutu, but, for this Christmas at least, receiving kicks givings tail end.

I don't mind the sudden change in tradition, personally.

DSC_1015

I don't think they do, either.

3 comments:

Sheryl said...

love, love, love this!! great post. great insight. great news!!

oh...and i'm so glad to call you friend, what a gift that i didn't even know i was looking for.

Katie Jones said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aimymichelle said...

wow that is so great and amazing. your posts are always so awesome. this actually made me a little bit happier!

great friend..i emailed you btw..