Monday, January 11, 2010

Bike Jail

There is a place at UMW called Bike Jail.

It actually may or may not exist.

But we're hoping that it does, because it's sort of Link's last hope.

As per, apparently, I received an e-mail circa December 2, 2009 (read: that may or may not be the date as per I never actually received said e-mail) which read something along these lines:

"Dear Students:
Even though you lock your bikes to anything firmly positioned in the ground during the school semester, this is simply unacceptable behavior over our one month vacation. So move any bikes locked to the front stair rail before break or we will apprehend your campus vehicle. And take it to bike jail.
Love, Rosemary Barra"

I already didn't like this lady, because she sends approximately 50 bagillion e-mails campus wide every hour. So, I'm sure that said e-mail, which I didn't receive, came from her. Because they all do. All of the time.

Anyway. (by the way, she teaches Peterso some sort of immune somethin' at 8 a.m. so that should tell you something about her. I'm not sure what.)

Had I received this e-mail, I clearly would've taken action.

Actually, I wouldn't have taken action since Link was parked (legally, I might add) outside of Mercer for like 3 weeks before yours truly, in her infinite diligence, escorted the bike back to the apartment. Had I known I would have saved myself the trouble. But instead I locked him to the stair rail outside.

Which is apparently against some sort of honor code. But what is really against honor code is a school police department that will straight up take your bike and make you think it is stolen (as it still may very well be). But really take it to bike jail.

Where I intend to bail it out tomorrow.

Do they impound bicycles? Because Link might be dead.

But! I found my camera battery charger. So if Link is alive and the police department decides to show some mercy to the communication deficient (me), his photo will grace tomorrow's post.

Here's hopin'.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Actually it was sent out by Lori Klopp on Dec 3 and under the paragraph about parking for cars... it stated the following...

"Likewise, students are reminded to unlock and move bicycles that have been left secured to trees, lampposts, railings, etc. Move bikes to the provided bike racks and be sure to secure the bike with a locking mechanism. Bikes that are left attached to anything other than a bike rack are subject to removal."

And yes, I did go into my .edu account, search winter break, and find the exact email... because I have little thing called OCD!

:P

oh, and my verification word is "nonyming" which seems like a variant of annoying, which is what this whole process is turning out to be for you!