Tuesday, January 19, 2010

3400


A number so big it makes me cringe.

A number many children don't even know exists. Not just because they may not ever see it in dollars but because many don't have the education to count that far.

A number so seemingly unattainable.

A number more attainable for me than for many, many millions of people.

A number too big to even ask.

A number too big to chip away at, it seems.

A number I'm going to pray about for a good long time.

A number that feels selfish to spend going to see people who could probably put it to much better use.

A number that came out of the blue tonight. Or maybe not so much. You never know in the age of surfing the net.

A number that could mean huge things for my life.

A number that could be just that. A number.

A number that seems silly to spend on just 12 days when I'm fairly certain I would go to stay. And that would seem like a much better use of that number.

I have yet to say "dollar" because I know that's just not how God thinks. (which is really not to say I know how God thinks) I would guess that to him 3400 is just a number. Not just a number to him? The 2 million known orphans in Uganda. Each one is as precious to him as I am. I kind of long for them to know that.

But right now, 3400 and 2 million both seem like big freaking numbers. Unreachable, even.

What's that you say about Facing My Giants, Max Lucado?

...

2 comments:

Sheryl said...

i hope this comes out the right way...

you make me want a "do over". i want to be you. with your heart, your passion and your convictions. oh, what i should have done with my life.

you inspire me!!

Karo said...

Sadie! You're considering a trip to Uganda? AWESOME. I hope and pray that His will be done. And I hope and pray that if it's your desire to go that it will all work out. And may I just "Amen" what Sheryl said?