Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Colonel Dude


It all started one day when I was in Texas with my grandparents. For a few summers I went to spend one week by myself with Meme and J.D. They aren't your average grandparents. Meme is a major night owl so we would stay up til all hours playing cards or dominoes or watching Columbo. Meme was up for just about anything... J.D. went along with just about anything. I'm still not entirely sure he's ever "up for" us. I mean he loves us, this is clear. But, as mom says, sometimes we are overwhelming. But the patient man that J.D. is sits back, laughs, and has an odd way of making the night more fun by just sitting in the corner. When he speaks, its for kicks! That, or really really meaningful. I love it when J.D. blesses our food because he has an integrity in his voice that comes through even in the routine pre-meal prayer. I have officially gotten off topic.

So there I am in Arlington, it's like 7:30 a.m. (because even though Meme is a night owl, she is also old, meaning she gets up at the crack of dawn) and we're at some buffet with the "breakfast bunch"-- a group of about 10 older people. Some of them have lost their spouse. Some have lost children. Most have grandbabies. All have retired. Each is held so dear by the others. I was introduced to them all, but I'm 11 and it is early. I leaned over to ask Meme about the man sitting a little ways down the table... "what does that...Colonel...dude... do at the church?" I can't remember the reply. I do know the Colonel Dude counted the tithes every Monday morning with J.D. But at the time Meme was too elated with the moniker I created for her friend to answer me. It was shared with the entire table and soon I became the most popular of the bunches' grandchildren because I came up with "Colonel Dude." And every subsequent visit since, I've either asked about or been told about the Cl. Dude. 

It wasn't until he died this summer that I found out, and thanked God for Him by, his real name. Colonel James Watkins. He was an ace pilot in WWII. But he was also a dad, husband, son, grandfather, brother, mentor, friend, etc. Many of you probably have a war hero with these aliases in your life, as well. They may not feel like heroes. Some are not proud of what they did. Some have a much different story than the triumphant, honorable ones told in the books. The stories this day was meant to celebrate. But they served. They lived to live with what they experienced. And that is enough to pause and be thankful for the veterans. If you were really daring (I was not today) you would take the time to actually thank them. 

Col. Watson made a speech the October after September 11, 2001. He didn't seek recognition for his record or accomplishments, although they are notable. He sought recognition for this country and its potential. Not that we're there yet... not that we're perfect. But he didn't risk his life and watch so many of his comrades die too young for just any land. Hear his words...

"This is the greatest country in the world because brave people sacrificed to make it that way. We are a collective mix of greatness and greed, hi-tech and heartland. We are the country of Mickey Mouse and Mickey Mantle; from John Smith and Pocohontas to John Glen and an Atlas booster; from Charles Lindbergh to Charlie Brown; from Moby Dick to Microsoft; we are a nation that went from Kitty Hawk to Tranquility Base in less than 70 years; we are rock and roll, and the Bill of Rights; we are where everyone else wants to be, the greatest nation in the world. The enemy does not understand the dichotomy of our society, but the should understand this; we will bandage our wounds, we will bury our dead; and we will come for you... and we will destroy you with all that we stand for.

'We are pressed on every side, but not crushed,
perplexed but not in despair,
persecuted, but not abandoned,
struck down, but not destroyed (2 Corinthians 4:8-9).'" 



For the record I was going to make the flag picture black and white, but figured the Colonel Dude would much rather you see the colors.

... also for the record I began this post on Tuesday the 11th, but then Noelle and I went to IHOP at 1:30 a.m.... that is another post entirely. For now, just so it's clear I am still going strong for NaBloPoMo.

No comments: