I'm thankful for a lot.
I really came to this observation as Noelle and I played the ABC game in her car on the way to Naptown on Monday. "I'm going on break and I'm thankful for..." I don't remember them all, but I could come up with a whole new alphabet right here on the spot, if I wanted. Because I have that much to be thankful for. And while I love that I have this day to concentrate on all of the things I fail to recognize every other day-- indeed the things I often flat out take for granted-- I really think my problem is a lack of gratitude for the one thing that factors into every other aspect of my life. Or at least has the ability to factor into every other aspect. The one who makes it possible to have all these things, and who makes things possible despite (or usually because of) a lack for things.
I know how much I have. Of course I could get better at actually thanking God for it all. But as I look around at how much stuff I have, I am made aware of my reliance on it. In terms of all I have, I am comfortable. And tangibly having so much, more often than not, serves to distance me from a reliance on the Provider. Yes, everything I have has been provided by my Heavenly Father. And in that way, I suppose a reliance on all of my blessings could be interpreted as a reliance on God. But it's the intangible things I should most rely on... and be thankful for. His providence is unique because of the intangible blessings He offers. His grace. His love. His care. His salvation. And I should be most grateful for these things because of what the world would face without them. His justice. His wrath. His majesty. Our sin.
I have a lot. And in many of these things I see the beauty of God reflected. I see his care. I see joy. I have fun. I am thankful.
But how much stuff I have is not a direct reflection of how much He loves me. And it shouldn't determine how much I love Him back.
Honestly, a lot of this stuff keeps me from Him rather than bring me to Him. Not always overtly in contrast to a relationship with Him-- but they serve often times as a distraction. In this case, while I am so grateful for all I have, the stuff can get frustrating. Rightfully so. Because He wants us focused on so much more than what can be inventoried on an insurance policy. So much more than the physical. I thank Him for those things, I really do. But for what He has given me outside of that--I am so thankful tonight.
... on to game night with my family...
"To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy-- to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power, and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."
-Jude 1:24-25
No comments:
Post a Comment