Monday, November 10, 2008

Really?


Really? We're going to church this morning?!

Really? I stayed up til 3:30 writing my paper?!

Really? My hair looks like this on the way out of the door?!

Really? You really just made that that's what she said joke?!

Really? This weekend is over?!

Really? It's November?!

Really?!

That was an intense use of really. I've probably worn it out for a while. As you can tell my weekend has been full of them. You ever look around and think this can't be happening? Sometimes it's in a good way. Other times in a stressful way. A joking way. A serious way. A meltdown way. An audible way. A silent way. Awe. Disbelief. 

Could be shock. Could be devastation. Could be elation. Could be exaggeration. Could be out of hurt, could be out of happiness. 

It's one of the most situational phrases, really. It's based on happenings, circumstances. Fading circumstances. Some fade quicker than others. On Saturday my laughter quickly faded into paper-writing. I was right back to laughter last night as we watched (and Noelle and Chris did a mini-reenactment of) Get Smart. Funny, funny stuff. 

Hurt seems to fade much slower than happiness. I've got to be really honest, I don't have a lot of experience with hurt. I've witnessed it. I do my best to feel it for others and help them carry it. But deep down disappointment, permanent loss? I have yet to experience the worst of it. I don't really wish to anytime soon. However, I would like to know what it's like to be made deeply aware of my weakness. To be weary for the pain of myself and others. To feel the depth of hunger, pain, hatred, and violence enough to groan-- to yearn for intercession.

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." 
-Romans 8:26

"So that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ"
-Ephesians 3:17-18

To look at God and say Really?! This is all the world has got to offer? and then immediately turn around and say Really?! You've given me a way out?

Yes, Sadie. Really.


No comments: