what does it look like?
2 friends up late discussing all things spiritual? 2 friends sticking out a night of writing papers together in a sketch academic building? Sending a roommate off with prayer and gratitude for her absolute example of faithfulness? Lunchin' with the big sis for the first time in weeks? Locking ourselves into the BCM for 12 hours of card games, hide-and-go seek, and snacking? Packing christmas boxes while watching the Office at the BCM? Playing hair with children while watching Blue's Clues? Teaching a group of high-schoolers how to do life well? Hanging around watching Oprah take a road trip as a few friends unwind from this week and prepare for the weekend? God, I can't even know.
I mean, these things feel like fellowship. It sure is nice to have the people and the relationships and the time-- but how am I to know what exactly fellowship is. Are any of the above mentioned situations, all of which I could not have done alone, better than the others? I don't know that I can tell you any one of these is better. I don't know that I can tell you which one you have the power to work in most. The only thing I can do is ask that you do. Work in it, I mean. Work in these areas. Each and every one. Am I getting outside of my right to ask you to bless my work? Perhaps. I mean, I can't just say "do this for me" and expect it to happen. Honestly, I'm very happy about that.
But I can say "do this for you" and expect full well that you will show me a way to be useful. And so I ask, going into tonight, that you would control my actions and my words and my attitude to do this lock in for you. And I ask this for every person there tonight. The planners and the laymen. The leadership and the commoners. The stressed and the chill. That each and every one would have a heart for you first and foremost tonight. That each of us would seek your guidance as we go about conversations. That doesn't mean each will be deep and spiritual... most probably wont. But God, humble each of us and make us gentle in our approach to one another. Let playful competition be playful competition that would reflect delight and not mean-spiritedness. May sarcasm be used solely as a comedic tool, not a degrading agent. Build character despite a human tendency to snap.
My desires for tonight and the group of people currently beginning to congregate could go on all night. I ask that you make yours known, and that you would guide your children with the conviction to carry out what it is you would have. If that is simply bringing laughter and smiles and games and just expressing love to newbies and drifters, make us all effective in doing that. Plans for biblical conversation and "legit life chats" made by mere us, while made with the best intentions, could go just as awry without your input as just hangin around could go awry without your input. Heavenly Father, bless tonight far more than we could have "perfected" it on our own with the "best" plans. All of it is nothing without you.
I wont belittle you so much as to gauge the success of this lock-in based on the amount of deep conversation. I also wont belittle you so much as to suggest that you couldn't bring about mass spiritual focus to tonight. I just ask that you go deep.
"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them. Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, 'Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?' Jesus answered, 'I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.'" -Matthew 18:19-22
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." -Matthew 7:7-8
Okay, ironic verse since this is a lock in. But God, seriously, I just ask that you unify us. And then grow us. And then make us purposeful about including others. This is my intent tonight. And I know it is the intent of at least one other person there. Be with us. Be our fellowship.
No comments:
Post a Comment