Thursday, November 13, 2008

Unproductive


I exhaled. I let my guard down. I got tired. Exhausted. I got sooo over doing work. You know that time when you've done major work and have a small break until it's absolutely necessary to start on the next big things? That was yesterday for me. I have a lot to do for Monday and had all good intentions to start working on these things last night. I ended up reading one article. That's it. 

Sometimes this break is a good thing, especially when you start the day saying this is going to be a chillax day. But I really had banked on getting some work done. I let myself down. And I hate that feeling. Not necessarily that I've done something wrong, but that I set a goal and did not meet it. It's the worst feeling when I'm trying to get to sleep and can only think of ways I could have spent my time that would have served me, or better yet, others better.

But this morning I woke up, got ready, and headed for Bio. Still sort of on autopilot as I stepped out of the building, the rain and chill took me by surprise. Not drizzle. Rain. Hard, cold precipitation. Fortunately I had a raincoat on, for what I thought was no particular reason. I stopped by the Nest to heat up my leftover pancakes and as I walked out and through the portico I was struck with how truly beautiful the day is.
 



Rainy, yes. But the puddles are gorgeous, and the makeshift rivers here and there are rushing with energy. Everything is clean. I saw MB on my way. Her computer was in trouble yesterday-- a huge deal since she just got done writing her 485 thesis and would lose it if the computer crashed. She told me as we paused briefly that the computer is up and running, thesis and all.
 Thank you, Jesus. I walked into Bio 5 minutes late (i'm gonna get better!) and proceeded to partake in my evidence of the sweetness of God. The pancakes are gone now, but the experience will ever remind me that God has things up His sleeve that we couldn't even imagine. Where we may be frustrated, exhausted, wet, and determined to be miserable, He still has the capacity to delight us. 

I pray that delight for Noelle and Big D especially today. Both are soaking wet right now, with full schedules, broken umbrellas and overall displeasure with the day. Each with good reason to be feeling not so fabulous. God, be peace to them and exceed their expectations. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to go to Bio Lab. Good times there, as you can see. 


Best part of the night, though? Hearing that Noelle's meeting with her boss went better than she could have hoped for. Her words were "it went to well to be good." Delight! 

Here's the thing, today was rainy. But it was new. And now, at 11:15, I'm going to go make it academically productive. Delight. 

One last dialogue of the evening:

Ashley- what are you working on?
Noelle- reading about Iran
Ashley- you ran where?

it's only really funny because this type of really corny humor is out of character for Ashley... Delight!

Ashley- what are we doing this weekend
Noelle- home...work!
Ashley- good because I have a bio test Saturday

...delight. 

Noelle- I didn't cry once about the rain AND I conquered my fear of the treadmill. this is a BIG day!

Ashley- There was a torrential downpour...I was wearing a white blouse. 

...delight. 

1 comment:

katie said...

you make me laugh and i miss you!
i can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks! :)
i miss you (i think i said that already)
i love you so much!!