Obama is not the anti-Christ. He's not a bad person. I don't agree with his politics, but welcome to the life of most democrats for the past eight years. I refuse to slander the next leader of this country based on his skin color. Nor can I hate him on the basis of his party affiliation. And where political satire can be and usually is some of the best comedy, I do not wish the disrespect this nation has shown George W. Bush onto Barack Obama. I can't change what other people think or say in response to tonight. I can only start with me...
*I have not opposed Obama because he's black. I think he should have won the presidency neither because nor despite the fact that he is black. I know this is, however, the case and I do recognize this as a triumphant time for the African American population.
*I do not think the fact that his middle name is Hussein makes him a terrorist-- and I think it is the most ridiculous argument ever.
*I do not wish he was shot. I wouldn't be relieved were it to happen. It's just not even funny to joke about. The democratic process got him to the seat he will now hold-- how he exits the position should be nothing less than such. Assassination is so not a proportionate response to election and I think conversation centered on it is distasteful.
*His family is cute.
That's what I have on Obama for now. And it's all I really have to have on him. Because above all else I've got a Heavenly Father who knew long before November 4, 2008 the outcome of an election. He sees hearts and not campaign buttons. He sees redeeming blood, not red or blue. He sees eternity, not January 20, 2009-January 20, 2013.
I've had these songs in my head all day-- divine and very welcome distractions.
There's nowhere else
that I'd rather be
Than dancing with you
as you sing over me
There's nothing else that I'd rather do
Lord than to worship you.
So rejoice, be glad!
Rejoice oh my soul
For the Lord your God He reigns
Forevermore I rejoice
For my God reigns
So rejoice, be glad
Your Father and your friend is the Lord
Your God, whose rule will never end.
And also,
Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in his wonderful face
And the things of Earth will grow strangely dim
in the light of His glory and grace.
If you're disappointed tonight, good. Not as in "you should be! McCain should have won." No, no. Good, because it is useful to realize that this world is going to let us down. If it hadn't tonight, it would in 2012 or 2016. But do not be hardened. Don't be hateful. Rejoice in our omnipotent King. Whether you feel victorious or defeated tonight, I plead with you as a member of the body of Christ to reflect the joy we have in Him.
"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is not authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."
-Romans 13:1
"Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God. Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king." -1 Peter 2:17
Bring on the change. Yes, He can.
No comments:
Post a Comment